Erica's Reviews > Hood

Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, reader-s-advisory-book-club
Read from October 09 to November 03, 2011

This novel seemed to me to be more historical than fantasy. It is a remake of the Robin Hood story based at the time of the Norman invasion of Wales. Our Robin Hood is Bran ap Brychan (the book is full of these rather hard welsh pronunciations but there is a pronunciation guide in the back of the book), a welsh prince whose father is murdered by Normans, banishing him from his lands and wounding him heavily in the process. This first book in the series focuses on the making of the hero. In the beginning of the story Bran is reckless, carefree and only truly cares about himself. After he is wounded by the Normans he is taken in by an old crone named Angharad. She is the fantastical element in the story. She is a type of mage, who sings to Bran stories of old. Stories of changing that are meant to lead our hero to his true calling, saving his people from the pillaging Normans. Well written, with strong characters and wondrous scenes, I would recommend this to anyone who loves fables, Arthurian legends or even just historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hood.