Kathleen (Kat) Smith's Reviews > A Texan's Promise

A Texan's Promise by Shelley Gray

"Vanessa, honey, why you crying?"

Clayton! He stood in the doorway to the stables, his presence both a soothing balm and a source of panic.

Vanessa gingerly leaned back against the wood behind her, willed herself to relax, but it was no good. It was going to be some time before she could calm down again. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"You didn't." His eyes narrowed as he stepped closer. "It's midnight. Isn't it awfully late for you to be out of bed?"

Yes. Yes, it was. It was too late for a lot of things now. Wiping her eyes with the side of her fist, she shook her head. "I'll go in soon."

Clayton crouched beside her, his knees brushing her skirts. A puff of dust flew up, mixing with his scent, all bay rum and horses. "Care to tell me what happened?"

She was thankful for the darkness. "No."

She hated being nineteen and unmarried. Too old to ask for help; too innocent to be self-sufficient. She knew the moment he saw the bruise on her cheek. Ever since her pa had died, she'd felt alone except for Clay. If he turned away from her, she'd have no one left.

In the latest novel by Shelley Gray, A Texan's Promise, brings to light just how far a promise can go in the lives of Clayton Proffitt and Vanessa Grant. Clayton has promised her father that he would look after her and when he learns that her stepfather, Price has beaten her, he knows that he must take Vanessa and leave the Circle Z Ranch in Texas and find a safe place for her. Only by taking Vanessa and leaving, Clayton will soon be an outlaw himself in the eyes of the law once Price demands that a posse be formed to search for Vanessa and have her returned. The punishment he has in store for her leaving will be unmatched to what he did the first time.

I received this book compliments of Abingdon Press for my honest review and found myself once more swept away by the writing style of Shelly Gray. She has a way of hooking you from the beginning and make you love and care for the characters she brings to life in the pages of her novel. You'll be rooting for Clayton and Vanessa happiness while eluding the hunt for them by Price. Once more I have to give this book a 5 out of 5 star rating and can't wait to read more in the The Heart of A Hero Series!!! She's got me hooked now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Texan's Promise.