Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Stalking the Others

Stalking the Others by Jess Haines

Oct 07, 11

Stalking the Others, book #4 in Jess Haines’ H&W Investigations is one book I’m recommending as a must read for the summer. I should disclose I’m friends with Jess and I was one of her beta readers for this book. I really didn’t know what to expect with this latest because Jess has taken her main protagonist on quite a journey that I liken to Alice in Wonderland. When this series began, Shiarra West was a NYC private investigator who had a pretty stable life with a good job, very supporting family and friends and a hunky and loving boyfriend. But that all changed when Shiarra was forced into a very difficult and deadly situation, and because of that, her entire world has turned upside down, much like Alice’s has.

The events leading up to Stalking the Others has put Shiarra in a very bad place. She found out the man she loved, her boyfriend, Chaz, is not only a werewolf, but a man whore cheating douche who hasn’t been faithful to her. Chaz the Douche has his reason for doing so, which is a pretty lame one and would make any woman grab a knife and do a Lorena Bobbitt on him. Because of Chaz’s deceit, Shiarra through no fault of her own, may or may not have contracted the lycan virus and may turn into a werewolf during the next full moon. Shiarra is no longer the calm and collected woman we have read over the course of the last three books. She’s a vault of anger and fear and has become very hot headed, thanks in part to her magical belt who pushes her to channel her rage and get her revenge, which when all is said and done could kill her.

Stalking the Others is all about revenge, but also turning to those you least expect, who will have your back. Shiarra seems to be flying solo, but she always has someone around as her backup. This time around it’s Jack, the head of The White Hats who hates everything “other” (anything supernatural such as werewolves and vampires). He and Shia have bonded big time in this book. He makes a big impression here, and those fans of his will be very pleased by his role.

More than half way through is where things have that explosive, on the edge of the seat action. Shia’s anger spirals out of control, much like Buffy the Vampire’s Willow when her lover Tara was murdered. If you watched that episode of Buffy, you have a good idea what’s going on with Shia. To some readers, Shia’s actions and thoughts may not make much sense and may make you go, WTF? But then it all comes together and there’s that big AHA moment. Could someone or something be manipulating Shiarra?

Then there’s Alec Royce, that sexy, Roarke (hero from JD Robb's In Death series) type vampire master of Manhattan who has a more cameo in this book until the very end. When Royce confronts Shia, it’s full of awesome and had me cheering because of what occurs between these two. This interaction changes their relationship forever, and it’s exactly what I was hoping for. To go into further detail would ruin the surprise. This is a surprise I want to have babies with.

I had one big complaint about this book. There’s no Devon! I adore Devon with every sense of my being. Devon has become an important character to me like Nalini Singh’s Kaleb, Meljean Brook’s Michael, and J.R. Ward’s Qhuay. I want more of Devon and I want it now! I think Devon needs his own book. I’m a total Devon fan girl. I won’t rest until Devon get his own novella or full length novel.

Even with the absence of Devon here, it didn’t take away my enjoyment in reading. Stalking the Others succeeds in so many ways, and I can say that this is the best book so far of this series. Thank god Kensington got it together and changed up the cover. The covers for these books have been ghastly (doesn't the chick on this cover look like Drew Barrymore, or is it just me?). There’s also a cliffhanger at the end that will surely irk readers, but the way it was written makes you yearn for the next book because there are still some unresolved issues that need to be worked out.

The H&W Investigations series is not your typical paranormal series and one I recommend fans of this genre try. I look forward to more of Shiarra and her quest to right the wrongs, not only for herself, but those innocent parties who have been targeted by evil.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking the Others.

dateDown_arrow    newest »