Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Blood Kin

4561998
Aug 14, 12

Read from July 06 to 08, 2012

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I was a little sad to learn that each installment in the Half-Light City series showcases a different couple; after having really enjoyed Shadow Kin I was reluctant to say goodbye to Lilly and Simon. However, I decided to give Guy and Holly the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, much to my chagrin, I found Blood Kin to be only a so-so read. The female protagonist in this book didn't manage to capture my interest the way that her predecessor did and the plot isn't nearly as compelling. I did enjoy the politics and the Steampunk-y feel of Scott's universe and am interested in seeing if this series evens out in 2013 with the third novel.

My feelings towards this book's characters are the opposite of what I felt towards Lilly and Simon. In the first novel I adored the female heroine but didn't care for the male protagonist overly much while as in Blood Kin I fell in love with Guy but only had lukewarm feelings towards Holly. I wonder if Scott planned it that way? The Templar Knight was very, well... knightly, as you'd expect. He's honorable, loyal and a devote practitioner. It was interesting watching him take a walk on the "dark side"; from learning the fine art of spying to tackling the slippery slope of inter-racial politics. He's the ultimate good guy and Holly is tasked with helping him step away from his comfort zone which proves to be as entertaining as it is traumatic.

Half-Light City politics are once again front and center in this story. Tales of deceit, backstabbing and power plays abound; all key trouble causing ingredients. Holly holds an interesting position in their society because she doesn't really have any allegiances; basically whoever is willing to pay her is considered a friend for the duration of their contract. Oftentimes while spying on one branch of supes she picks up information that's invaluable to another sect which in turn leaves her in a precarious situation. This girl is definitely a master manipulator and knows how to walk a fine line!

This book's plot line is closely connected to the events that happened in Shadow Kin and, as a result, it sort of comes across as a "dealing with the fallout" or "piggybacking" novel. Sure, Holly and Guy go off on their own to investigate the attacks on the Templars but everything eventually leads back to the original problem from the first book. Because of this, I found that there was a certain degree of predictability to this installment. The characters spend a great deal of time observing things from a distance (i.e. spying on rooftops and from theater balconies) which in turn causes the plot to progress at a much slower pace. Overall I found that Blood Kin was a silent observer more so than an active participant in this series' action; a disappointment when compared to the adrenaline rush from the first novel.

Blood Kin is an eclectic mix of Fantasy, Steampunk and espionage with an abundance of political intrigue. The story actually reminded me of a game of chess; not terribly action-y but every move is minutely planned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Kin.

07/07/2012 page 65
07/07/2012 page 144
44.0% "Stop it with the "hells balls" and "Holly girl already! Gawd."
show 1 hidden update…