Tiffany's Reviews > Blade of Fortriu

Blade of Fortriu by Juliet Marillier

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: celtic-fantasy
Read from October 07 to 14, 2011

Let me start off by saying that Juliet Marillier can sometimes be a little formulaic. That's not to say her books are not enjoyable for all their predictability; they are extremely enjoyable. I thought this book was going to follow that same pattern: A journey, a man with a dark, haunted, secret past and the woman who brings him back to light, seen in Son of Shadows, Heir to Sevenwaters and to an extent, Seer of Sevenwaters. However, this book is not so simple. In every other Marillier book, there has been a clearly defined hero and heroine and the reader knows that however it is accomplished, they will end up together. In Blade of Fortriu, there is a clear heroine but who is her "hero" or who she will end up with in the end, is not so clear. The love triangle, which I've never seen from Marillier before, added an additional element to the story.

Also, in almost every Marillier book I've read so far, I have had trouble "getting into" the book. It has taken me 100-200 pages, read over a period of a week or two, to really become fascinated and finish the rest of the book in less than a week. This did not happen with this book. I was absorbed from the beginning. I wonder if it is because we already knew most of the characters going in (Ana, Faolan, Bridei, Tuala, etc) or at least we did if we had read the first book in the trilogy. In the original Sevenwaters trilogy, the main character was always a person we had never encountered before so we needed a lot of background to get the story started. Same with Heart's Blood and The Dark Mirror.

I am happy to say that I actually liked Blade of Fortiu even better than I liked The Dark Mirror and so far, The Well of Shades looks like it might be even better.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade of Fortriu.