Sunflower's Reviews > Reclaiming Lily

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-reviews, litfuse

"Reclaiming Lily" is a beautiful, flawless written book, that would capture the heart and tears in the eyes, as the reader travels with the characters on a journey of discovery and understanding.

Set in Texas, and inter-spaced with tales of one of the characters experiences, growing up in revolutionary China, the reader is brought into the lives of two very different set of families, that are united through a common love and concern for Lily, the adopted daughter of Gloria and Andrew.

If I could rate,"Reclaiming Lily" with tissue boxes, I would have to say, you would need three tissue boxes (for good measure) prior to starting this book; Covering themes of adoption, family, what is family, mother-daughter relationships, faith, finding hope, and bridging cultural divides, one would think...how could an author manage to cover all that, but Patti Lacy is able to do that and more with, "Reclaiming Lily".

By the time, I was finished with the book, I was bawling with tears of sadness and joy at the tightly woven story of two families, in two different countries, tightly woven in one girl, and the often complicated relationships and understandings that are prevalent with adoptions.

Patti Lacy, brilliantly, weaves a tale of two different cultures and presents to the reader, strong characters, that by the end of the book, you will find yourself captivated and unable to let go of the book, even knowing you're at the end.

Normally, when writing about very strong characters, it seems difficult to balance,the many stories going on, but "Reclaiming Lily" is an amazingly strong book, that draws the readers in and before you know it, you are lost within the characters that are incredibly fleshed out, with rich, complicated backgrounds and present day struggles.

There are no confusions of where the story going, there is not finding oneself on rabbit trails, instead, there is a feeling, of, "I have to know more, don't stop, not here, go on".

Patti Lacy, presents real people, with real issues, and real emotions, that one would find in an often complicated situation of different values, beliefs and cultures and weaves together, seamlessly, a story of growth, understanding, and eye opening faith that just left me breathless with each page.

What words can describe how as much I would like to share this book with others, this is one of those rare gems, I hesitate to give out,for fear of not getting it back, but yet find myself, going, "You HAVE to read this book; It's not just amazing, but just will take your breathe away".

If you are seeking a story about the power of love, hope and what is family, I highly recommend to read, "Reclaiming Lily".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reclaiming Lily.