Mitchii's Reviews > Night School

Night School by C.J. Daugherty

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, fantasy, romance, mystery-suspense, 2012-reads, paranormal
Read from March 06 to 08, 2012

2.5/5

Initially, I added this book because of the cover. I mean, look at it. Gorgeous isn’t it? But it was my sister who noticed that the book’s premise resembled ヴァンパイア騎士 (Vampire Knight). Just in case you’re not familiar with VK, like this one, the setting is also in a boarding school, with uniforms (needless to say, I’m completely in love with VK’s uniforms) with vampires? with prefects and night class, plus a whole lot of mysteries you want to unravel. Oh, wait! I think Night School has that too. I’m not too sure about the vampires in Night School though.

This book offers nothing new (that’s just me). Not only did I find it similar to Vampire Knight, it also sort of reminded me of Gabriella Poole’s Darke Academy series. But I’m not implying that this is completely unoriginal or something. It’s just that the elements I found in those titles were also present here. I’m not gonna say it was entirely predictable either. It also has moments that were totally on its own, though it didn’t completely compel me as a reader.

I also was unable to connect with the characters. Allie, Carter, Sylvain and the others were bit flat. No one stands out (not even Carter, who I find really interesting at first but lost that impression). They weren’t that infuriating or super bland (not really that extreme but almost). They were just… that. There’s also a romance here, a love triangle if I'm not mistaken. But I wasn’t fascinated enough to dwell on it. I really don’t mind if there weren’t any to be perfectly honest. In addition, the pacing was really slow. It took a while before something really happened. But even those did not excite me. Instead it left me hanging. I turned page after page to find out more. But up until the last page I didn’t get any.

The only reason I finish it is because I wanted to know more—more about this Cimmeria Academy. About Allie. What’s the real deal with her? What the hell is this legacy thing? And the Night School. Yep, a lot of questions and the book answered it in a very vague way (and for some there are no answers yet). Even after I’m done I’m still clueless. I bet this book isn’t a stand alone (because the ending is the most open ended in the history of open ended endings). It needs a sequel (although admittedly I’m not that excited to read it). There are far too many questions that need answers. While I would love to say I’m hoping for a sequel but I’m too disappointed to hope.

It was so-so book for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night School.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Imnothing Lol. Me too se Night School like Vampire Knight.