Patrick's Reviews > Eva Luna

Eva Luna by Isabel Allende

Oct 15, 11

Read from October 07 to 15, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Eva Luna is an engaging magical-realism story about Eva Luna. Although there are not a lot of lessons to be learned, I think the story line absolutely captivating. Due to the interesting story alone, I will give this book 5 stars.

I think it is appropriate that the eventual lovers of the story Eva, who is a great storyteller, and Wolfe, who is a great journalist, come together at Mimi's a transsexual that represents both sexes and perhaps the journalistic and novelist instincts of Isabel Allende herself.

One thing that jumps out at me is the sorrow I feel for people who do not do what they were meant to be doing. Clearly, despite being a maid, Consuelo was creative by nature as can be seen with her bouts of daydreaming and story-telling proclivities and should have done something creative with her life. The greatest disservice to self as well as society is when a person is not doing what he/she is meant to do. Like her mother, Eva Luna is also a maid although she should be in a creative field, too. Again, I think all the misery in the world would be fixed if people do what they were born to do. But perhaps her Eva Luna's unfortunate history served as a fuel to her stories and thus good for her. I wholeheartedly agree with Mimi's quote " that each of us is born with a talent, and that happiness or misfortune depends on discovering what that talent is, and whether there is a demand for it in the world."

I think Rolfe Carle is a teenager who is lucky in being shipped off to South America and experiencing sexuality at the peak of his sexual prowess. I wished I lost my virginity at my sexual peak with a partner at the peak of hers. I tend to relate to Rolfe who is an incurable romantic but hides it in a tough exterior.

I think it is a shame that people use to think of children who were born out-of-wedlock as a disgrace.

War is a destructive force that destroy lives and economies. I am becoming more convinced that the decline of Europe in relation to the US is due to WWII. The main reason why the US experienced the economic miracle of the 1950's is because we were the only country left with our industries untouched by war, thus giving us a head start from other countries that were touched by wars destructiveness. Is it any wonder then that the American financial crisis came after the expensive wars with Iraq and Afghanistan without clear victories?

As with war, political instability can increase inflation in such away that money becomes useless and people do not think twice in spending it away.

Petroleum country's people are really at a big disadvantage because their country does not need and thus not provide them a platform for entrepreneurial ventures.

I like that Allende realizes that absolute power corrupts absolutely and that Nanajo communist plot would just replace one corrupt regime with another. She also realizes that although democracy is imperfect as can be seen in the book, it is the only way in which a definitive check and balance can be obtained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eva Luna.