Rachael's Reviews > Needles and Pearls: A Beach Street Knitting Society Novel

Needles and Pearls by Gil McNeil

Oct 08, 11

Read from October 07 to 08, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read many books written in present-tense, or that are written in a UK English dialect, but this one didn't disappoint. There were a few technical errors, but it's actually possible that they only seem wrong to me because the writing style is different?

I noticed lots of reviewers complaining about McNeil's language use. I didn't feel like it was excessive--the F-bomb was dropped a small handful of times. She did use the phrase "piss-off" quite a few times, and to her kids "bloody" was a bad word-and it was used several times a chapter at least, so I don't know if some of the reviewers are from the UK and that's why they were offended.

This story was exactly the kind that appeals to me-I felt I could relate to the main character--even if our circumstances are different it seemed like our personalities were very similar. And nothing extraordinary really happened in the book. There were no over the top romances, or thrilling mysteries to solve. It was just a glimpse into this fictitious woman's life.

On a side note, I am even more interested in learning to knit after having read about all the cute things everyone was making.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Needles and Pearls.