Melissa Prange's Reviews > The Lantern

The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson

Oct 07, 11

Read in October, 2011

In comparison to the likes of the classics or even the more modern Thirteenth Tale or Kate Morton novels, the Latern is a less than entralling gothic novel. It centers around two stories. The first is of a modern day woman who has moved to France with the love of her life - who may or may not be a murderer. The second is the life story of a woman who feels guilt over the mysterious happenings centered around her family. The Lantern uses the standard cliques, including a mysteriously absent wife, a sociopathic brother, and a heap of unexplained ghost sightings.

I enjoyed the novel for what it was, but I would have liked it to be a bit more surprising. The ending feels forced and a bit corny. I was never shocked during this novel or even mildly surprised. I like to be surprised in this sort of book, but the author failed to make the twists all that interesting. Also, the book was told in first person from two points of view, but the author failed to make either of the voices stand out. The characters, in general, were unexciting and vague. The plot and mysteries were the main focus but unfortunately, they were almost as unexciting as the characters. I wanted to like this book, but in the end, I felt let down.

I would recommend rereading the Thirteenth Tale or the Monk instead of cracking the pages of this lackluster novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lantern.