Rebecca's Reviews > Moby-Dick; or, The Whale

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville

F 50x66
Jun 17, 08

Read in May, 2008

Um. This is the weirdest, most outrageous book I've ever read. Using words like "classic" and "epic" and "desert-island-book" is just way too banal for this enormous, bizarre, utterly insane novel. I was in turn amused, bored, outraged, irritated, and charmed, but mostly blood-thirsty for the business of KILLING WHALES to begin.

Ishmael, in the first paragraph, says, "I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Are you kidding? Just take a little guided tour of the waterlands, that's all. No lunatics, wacko encyclopedic explanations of whale LAW, fake deaths, real corpses that reappear several days later with eyes popped out and strapped to a whale, strange chapters where everyone on ship breaks into song (all in appropriate dialects, of course), sleepy meditations on whale foreheads, and cozy bedding down with a dude who sells human heads and sleeps with a harpoon under his pillow.

I have no idea how you couldn't have a dramatic reaction to this book. Outrage, in fact, seems to me the only plausible reaction. It's like Melville sawed his leg off, dissected it, and used the parts to build a tiny living whale, which he kept alive by feeding his own blood. He calls his friends over to see it, and they are all like, "Oh, nice, classic, very epic. Well, time for dinner--see you later, Herm."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick; or, The Whale.

Matthew Lowes Thank you for writing this! You had me laughing out loud in a crowded coffee shop. So funny, and when I think about it, so true.

Rebecca Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it.

Daniel Hauff-Lazar THE BEST (!!!) book review for this book (read: massive TOME!) of all time (Seriously)!

I hope you write some yourself because your personality (I can only guess/hope) shines brightly through in this short posted book review.

Daniel Hauff-Lazar (And if that posted three times I apologize but I guess you can FEEL my enthusiasm! Appears to have triple posted my comment and I see no way to delete two of them on my phone.)

Rebecca Thanks!

Daniel Hauff-Lazar You earned it.