Kevin Murphy's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Oct 15, 11

Read from October 07 to 15, 2011

Fantastic work of fiction. This, by far, is my favorite story in the legal thriller collection that is John Grisham's work. It also includes some of his best writing, though at times that writing can become tedious, preachy, and seemingly hokey regarding the religious dialogue surrounding Reverand Keith Schroeder's interactions with his churchgoers and outsider parties. My only other complaints are mere taste differences with this book. For example, once Donte Drumm is executed, I felt as if the story had ended... even though an exoneration was coming (a fact that I knew from minute one because of the ill-conceived Table of Contents in the first pages of the book, killing the suspense inherent in the overall picture of Drumm's innocence), the only real concern for me was whether or not they would convince the courts in time to save Drumm's life. Once that didn't happen, I did not care so much about an exoneration. However, I will say that all the information which was given, incluing the search and discovery of Nicole Farber's body, was quite interesting and, at times, exhilirating. But, and this leads me to my final "complaint," that information was spread out over 10-12 chapters, and it felt like the ending to the film "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." Even though I knew it was necessary, every chapter just drug the book further and further into the abyss of explanation, as if Grisham required this multi-chapter ramble just to convince readers that it was, in fact, okay that he killed off the innocent man at the end of the second act. Again, it didn't bother me so much because I enjoyed what I read, but the suspense had already been taken from me. That said, the composition of those final chapters moved the read along in such way that I never really felt that pang of a sore bottom - the one most of us felt while viewing the end of the LOTR sage in theaters. I would recommend this book to any Grisham fan. I feel outsiders, fans of more intricate legalese composers such as Scott Turow, will not enjoy this book so much because of the same reasons they normally disdain the populist style which makes an author like Grisham so appealing. I can say, though, that for a person who seemed to wage a personal war on the death penalty for roughly 400 pages, this was a thoroughly convincing motion in favor of a moratorium.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.