Marti's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Oct 09, 11

Read from October 07 to 09, 2011

I saw an interview with Colton on 20/20 recently. He is now about 11. I was impressed with his faith, confidence and certainty. However, upon reading the book I was disappointed that it was less about Colton's faith and experience than it was about his father's own struggles and doubts with Colton's trip to heaven.

Everything in the book is told from Todd Burpo, Colton's fathers, perspective. You can see his fundamental, conservative journey laced through everything. I am a Christian, I believe Colton. I guess I didn't need convincing. I wanted more interaction with what Colton saw, experienced and felt. I know this is limited because of his age, almost 4. This book, at times, felt more like a justification of Colton's experience than an exploration of heaven. Todd almost seemed like he had to convince people it was real. Then again, Colton had to convince him it was real over and over.

This is a decent book. It is a quick read. There are parts that were compelling and that were quite resonating but it was lacking something. It is hard to tell someone else's story and this one is two people removed (from Colton to Todd to Lynn Vincent).

The story here is heaven. It challenged some of my ideas of it and how it works. Colton's definition is pure, innocent and simple.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.