Nikki Brandyberry's Reviews > A Perfect Storm

A Perfect Storm by Lori Foster

Mar 13, 12

Read from February 02 to 05, 2012

Spencer knows he can’t get close to Arizona. She’s too damaged. Too fragile. That doesn’t mean he can’ t try to help her overcome her past. It’s not like he is looking for a relationship either. When the opportunity to work with her on a human trafficking case comes up he knows he must bargin for her. She won’t take care of herself otherwise. She is impossibly rash and has no regard for her safety. To keep her close Spencer offers to “work” with her. In and out of the bedroom.
Arizona doesn’t understand the incessant curiosity that won’t be tamed when it comes to Spencer. She never thought she’s be able to overcome her aversion to men after what she was put through in the past at the hands of the most evil of the evil. She’s perfectly capable of taking care of herself. She won’t be changing herself for Spencer. For anyone.
When the human traffickers set their sights on Arizona once again Spencer will stop at nothing to keep her safe. Even if he has to lock her away till the job is done. Problem is, Arizona has other plans. Like using herself has some very delectable bait.

A Perfect Storm is Lori’s 4th book in her Men Who Walk The Edge Of Honor series…and I have been waiting FOREVER to get my hands on it! I really enjoy this series and Lori’s writing is impeccable.
Arizona was a tough character to get to know. She’s completely closed off because of her past with human traffickers. She’s severely stunted towards human emotion and even though she hides it behind a tough facade, is incredibly vulnerable and fragile. Though if you called her that you better watch your back. Her fascination with Spencer quickly seemed to overtake her brittle personality and she became quite inquisitive. To the point that sometimes she came across childish. Which in return made it hard to see her and Spencer together. She had every right to behave the way she did because of her past but it was just difficult to see her having a normal-ish relationship. I did appreciate all the restrain Spencer took with her in regards to her hang ups and personality snafus. He made a lot of remarks on not wanting to take advantage of her and I found that noble on his part. Even though just looking at her gave him wood that even the best ax couldn’t chop down.
For his part Spencer was an exceptionally moral man who could also take down pretty much any person he wanted. He is flawed though because he can’t let go and move past the death of his wife several years earlier. Spencer and Arizona fit well together in the respect that neither were truly living when they met. They both went through the motions, sure, but their hearts had died a long with their dreams. Spencer spends half the book annoyed by Arizona while she spends the same half trying to figure out what it is about him that has her so intrigued.
Arizona has a weird relationship with Jackson (the man who saved her) that always left me kind of shaking my head. Jackson spends a crap ton of money on her because he considers her family. She doesn’t want anything to do with it yet secretly seems to enjoy the attention even though she has no idea how to respond to it. Offering him sex and being turned down left her in a lurch in knowing how to deal with him. I totally understood why Spencer had reservations about her explanation of the relationship. Though at times I thought Arizona handled herself quite nicely even though Spencer treated her akin to a child.
I really enjoy the human trafficking story line. Lord, that sounds bad, even to me LOL. But I do. You know, in a book. It makes for a suspenseful and truly devious villain. One with meat that I can believe in. I love how there are always a few twists I didn’t see coming. There is always plenty of action and some covert ops going down. This is definitely one book/series you won’t get bored reading.
We also get to catch up with the past characters. I especially enjoy Chris. Dare’s assistant and good friend. He also seems to be the “go to” guy in these books and his appearance always makes me smile. He has wisdom beyond his years an a knack of making even the most fragile people feel warm and comforted. I really hope he gets his own happiness someday. It seems a shame that he is on his own still…though he swears he’s totally okay with it. Think of him as the Yoda of this series!
A Perfect Storm is an intense whirlwind of a romantic suspense. Fly by the seat of your pants action that won’t let you down. Hot women, even hotter men and a storm that might just break down the walls surrounding Spencer and Arizona’s hearts.

I give A Perfect Storm by Lori Foster 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Storm.

02/02/2012 page 13
3.0% ""It's called morning wood little girl. No reason for alarm" LOL"
02/02/2012 page 115
26.0% "Arizona makes my heart hurt...." 8 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather Mckenna UGH! I am so jealous!!

Nikki Brandyberry Preorder! Preorder! Preorder!
Heather wrote: "UGH! I am so jealous!!"

Heather Mckenna I want it NOW!!

Nikki Brandyberry LOL soon... :) Heather wrote: "I want it NOW!!"