Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > The Pearl

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

May 11, 08

bookshelves: trt-posted-reviews

Reviewed by Taylor Rector for TeensReadToo.com

Kino and his wife, Juana, have a beautiful baby boy, but one morning he gets stung by a scorpion. He is rushed to the doctor, who will not treat him because they have no form of payment.

The parents get in their boat to look for a pearl to use as payment, and, amazingly, find one that is referred to as the "moon" -- and is about the size of a goose egg.

What happens when they go to the dealers to collect their money? You'll have to read this classic novel to find out.

THE PEARL is a very short book that, honestly, I wouldn't have chosen to read except that it's for school. It's a very basic story, but everything in the book also has a double meaning, which is thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pearl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juntcagio (new) - added it

Juntcagio It is a book that is really for people that want to start a class discussion about the book or about greed and social oppression. This book also has a great lesson to teach that can be helpful in the future. I like your review and so i will also vote for favor of your review.

Kiarra we read this book in my 7th grade class, we liked it a lot! But I agree it was pretty short, but it was very nice to discuss in class, especially on things that Kino did and what we would have done differently.