Grace Rakich's Reviews > Blackwood Farm

Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice

May 10, 2008

it was ok
Recommended for: People who like vampiric hermaphrodites

This novel marked the downfall of the series for me with the inclusion of the Mayfair witches. There's a reason I didn't read the Mayfair Witches series, and that's because the witches didn't interest me whatsoever. Furthermore, Mona Mayfair is pretty much the least likable female character ever written. I'm sorry, but I find it difficult to relate to or feel sorry for a 15 year old, spoiled, selfish, rich, manipulative nymphomaniac. At least in Merrick, the inclusion of a "Mayfair" was acceptable simply due to the fact that she was not a cross-over character. She was unique to that novel, as well as more mature, elegant, and complex. This isn't the worst of the chronicles (I think the winner for that is Blood Canticle, another book ruined by Mona Mayfair), but it's definitely a disappointing turn in the series. The only thing that really saves this book is Quinn Blackwood, and even then, his overly sentimental love toward Mona and the fact that he's so easily manipulated by her is just frustrating to read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackwood Farm.

10/21/2016 marked as: read