Wayne's Reviews > A History of Philosophy 1: Greece and Rome

A History of Philosophy 1 by Frederick Charles Copleston

M_50x66
Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: anthropology, history, philosophy, science, re-reads
Recommended to Wayne by: Father Marcellus, ourruddy faced, short, rotund so European belgian philosophy teacher
Recommended for: lovers of wisdom ,ergo philosophers
Read from January 01 to December 01, 1966, read count: once and more

THRILLED !!! to recently find in my local bookshop in the Secondhand section unsullied and complete the 12 Volume Set of Father Frederick Copleston's History of Philosophy.

Any Guilt on breaking up the set ?
By no means.
Firstly these volumes were written exclusively for ME !!!
Father Copleston as a convert and Jesuit priest took on the task of writing these books for Catholic Seminarian Students of Philosophy because what they had was not too impressive.
Now as an ex-seminarian and Retired Catholic I have for many years recalled with nostalgia, searched high and low for these books, left traces of the Greek Philosophers in several poems, re-created poems from the fragments of my memory of the fragments of surviving text, poems of Heraclitus' views...very Greek I now find, as philosophy was written in poetic form, perhaps to aid recall.

Those Greeks were always the ones who intrigued and amazed me(still do!!) The first ever known to record their philosphical thoughts - I refuse to believe that there were not pre-historic men and women and children who were not led into this realm (are those negatives making sense ?)- the Greeks, having only native wit and their observations of the world, aided by creative uncommon and common sense, made some very modern (atomic theory) and taken-for-granted discoveries eg., that the earth was a sphere.Someone also worked out how to weigh the earth!!!
Some philosophers were atheists.eg.Epicurus, Anaximander, ,Democritus Strato.

Secondly, re my guiltless breaking up of the set, I have neither the time, money or space to read, acquire or store the complete set. So why not leave them there to thrill another ex-seminarian, ex-priest, priest or just good old philosophy addict.
It could be YOU!!!
(If you reside outside Australia,try Glee Books at Dulwich Hill, NSW!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of Philosophy 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryce (new) - added it

Bryce I just bought Volume 1. Dulwich Hill, you say...do you recall how much they were each?