Kathryn's Reviews > The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen by Jane Austen

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: excellent-english
Read in February, 2008, read count: 1

Found this at my local Barnes & Noble. It’s a collection of snippets from Austen’s books, unpublished works, and letters, and topics ranging from history to balls to marriage (naturally). I really enjoyed getting some insight into Austen, who had a wicked sense of humor and an excellent ear for language. I just wish that the book had had more extracts from her letters and unpublished works and fewer from her six completed books. I’ve read and reread those, to the point at which reading just the first few words of the selection was enough for me to identify the work and even the entire passage. Of course, that may be a flaw in the reader rather than in the one compiling the selections.

Overall, a very entertaining and insightful read. I laughed aloud several times, and was also inspired by Austen’s uncomplaining attitude toward the painful illness that took her life. I should hunt up a collection of her letters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen.