Shari's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read in October, 2011

I feel torn about this book. I enjoyed it, and it felt like it was going faster for me than some of the other books I've listened to so far this fall. But at the same time, the narrator's insistence upon pronouncing Marina's name as "mir-ay-nah" drove me CRAZY. I felt like she slipped with a couple of other sentences as well, as if the CDs hadn't been carefully edited.

That said, I read some other reviews and I realize that I agree with much of what they have to say. Some of the characters were weak, verging on unlikable, and as a person who tends to be unfazed by strong personalities, I wasn't particularly impressed by Annick Swensen, or the cult of personality that formed around her in the Amazon. I also found the Bovenders to be excruciatingly annoying, and was relieved when they were gone from the story.

Overall, I'm glad I looked into this novel, but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone, especially when Heart of Darkness is such an incredible novel, and serves as a genesis of sorts for State of Wonder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.