TK421's Reviews > Flashforward

Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer

Jun 25, 13

bookshelves: sci-fi

Two minutes and seventeen seconds. A small amount of time for most of us, but within the confines of Robert Sawyer's fantastic science fiction novel FLASHFORWARD, 2:17 becomes more than a number; it becomes the insight to what the future holds. You see, 2:17 is the amount of time humnaity checked-out. All seven billion. As you can guess, choas ensued if you were one of the unlucky ones awake at the time. Planes crashed. Cars drove themselves. I can only guess what that unlucky skydiver experienced.

Joking aside. Sawyer did something really interesting with 2:17. It is not only the amount of time a person was blacked out, but, as I said, it was also the amount of time a person glimpsed into thier future 21 years in the future. Some of these futures were bright; some not. The real question is: What would you do with this knowledge?

Knowledge. Hmmm....?

Take a look at Genesis 2:17.

"But of the tree of knowledge of good and eveil, thou shall not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shall surely die."

Dang, Mr. Sawyer, what a tangled web you weave. Even though humanity had no choice in seeing thier future, they still had a choice on how they would decide to live thier lives. Would this knowledge corrupt you from living your life? Or, would you be able to remain freewilled? Can the future be changed? Or, is it written with an iron pen?

I doff my cap at you, Mr. Sawyer. You have successfully created a thought-provoking novel with layered implications about religion and human nature.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

(Too bad the miniseries blew bubbles...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flashforward.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Oh, interesting. I had no idea the television series was based on a book! This sounds much better, though.

Nice use of "doff," by the way.

message 2: by Sath (new) - added it

Sath Nice review!

I did know the television series was based on a book, but I've never read it. I didn't think it sounded as good (I was a BIG fan of the series, why do my favs always get canceled? >.<)

Forgive my trouble with your slang, but I'm not sure exactly what blew bubbles means.. did you like the series? Is the book better?

TK421 Sath wrote: "Nice review!

I did know the television series was based on a book, but I've never read it. I didn't think it sounded as good (I was a BIG fan of the series, why do my favs always get canceled? >...."

The book was a million times better (pardon the hyperbole). Blew bubbles = didn't like. (but allow me to explain: The premise for the series was great; it was just very slow and lost followers...I blame the producers.)

message 4: by Flaxan (new) - added it

Flaxan I didn't know it was either but I 'll get a copy.

message 5: by Samir (new)

Samir Rawas Sarayji I've been wanting to read this one for a while... it'll be my next SF book :)

TK421 Samir wrote: "I've been wanting to read this one for a while... it'll be my next SF book :)"

I think you'll enjoy this quite a bit.

message 7: by Samir (new)

Samir Rawas Sarayji G wrote: "Samir wrote: "I've been wanting to read this one for a while... it'll be my next SF book :)"

I think you'll enjoy this quite a bit."

Cool. Your review reminded me of his book the Terminal Experiment, which I loved but forgot to include in my read books :)