Tracy's Reviews > America's Boy: A Memoir

F 50x66
Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read in October, 2011

Wade Rouse's debut book, which is part a tribute to his parents and grandparents and part the difficulty of of being different. Rouse knew he was gay from a young age, but when his older brother, the all-boy/hunter/fisherman of the family, died when Rouse was a teen, his life changed dramatically as he tried to fit into his brother's shoes, to some degree. The book is told in three parts, loosely. Before Todd dies, after Todd dies and then when he is about 30 and struggling to come to terms with his homosexuality. I loved this book which speaks about being honest with who you are and the ramifications of living a lie in terms of how it affects you inside and how it affects others.

This book contains quite a bit of humor, probably more sex than I needed to read about and a lot of charming stories about growing up in hicksville.

His later books are very funny--I loved Confessions of Prep School Mommy Handler and the recently published collection of short stories/essays centered around holiday celebrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's Boy.