HeavyReader's Reviews > What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters

What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls by Lynda Madaras

Jun 21, 07

bookshelves: young-adult, sex-nonfiction

I really like this book, but I have an old edition which makes some strange assertions about "hermaphrodites." I'd say get a newer volume and make sure it doesn't say any weird stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I read this book as a preteen in the late 80's and thought it was really helpful. I don't think it was neccesarily a bad thing that it talked about hermaphroditism - it may be a rare phenomenon but it does happen. As long as the information is accurate and realistic (and I don't know if it was in this book or not - hard to say when I read it at age 8) I don't see anything wrong with mentioning the subject.

HeavyReader I just meant that "hermaphrodite" is not the accepted term any more, but probably was the correct term in the 80's. I haven't read an updated edition to see if they are using updated terminology. Also, I am not sure if the new edition makes the strange assertions that the old edition did. IF I remember correctly, the old edition said that hermaphrodites usually have mental disabilities, which I don't think is necessarily the case.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I see what you mean. That was a criticism that someone brought up on the comments for the book "Middlesex" - that a hermaphrodite is actually a mythical creature, not the accurate term for an intersex person. THe part about mental disabilities is certainly not always true, but it can be. I know there are several conditions in which a person has an extra chromosome that leads to both and female characteristics as well as mental retardation. But plenty of intersex people are very intelligent, so that's not always the case. It would be interesting to read what the updated version of the book said.