Darkfallen's Reviews > Weaver

Oct 06, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, read-n-reviewed
Read from October 06 to 08, 2011

What to say about Weaver?

Well first let me start with the good points shall we?

I love the villain aspect to this story. It's mostly original...OK maybe it is a slightly twisted take off vampires, but it's NOT vampires which earns some bonus points right there. They are called Xorda, which for some reason kept reminding me of Star Trek. (yes I am aware that I have never watched Star Trek and thus have no reason for such analogies...but still it did.) Anyways the Xorda sucked the souls out of people to survive, not their blood. In the end the outcome is the same though...death. But that is not the only villain of this story which was another plus I think. You see the humans that spend their life fighting a war against these Xorda's are called members of the Wells Society, but the things they do to their children without them knowing so that they can use them to kill these creatures is down right awful. I mean we are talking lab rats might be treated better awful.

So why only 2 stars you ask? OK here is the deal. First I want to start by saying that up until now I have been lucky enough that an author himself has never asked me to review their book and then I ended up not liking it. What I mean is that when an author has personally contacted me, asking me to review their book, I have been lucky enough to have always enjoyed it. So when this wasn't falling into that category I am finding myself feeling sad, and guilty at having to give such a low rating. But the truth is that as a reviewer I have a responsibility not to the author, but to the readers to give an honest review. And so here it is.

Alex is one of the main characters and I think that I could have really liked her but so much stuff just kept getting in the way. Stuff like really giant words thrown around when you least expect it, causing the flow to just sorta fall flat. I kept finding myself rereading sentences thinking "There is no way this 15 year old girl would use this word? In fact I am pretty sure she doesn't even know what it means, because really? Neither do I. Now for those of you that don't me I assure you my lack of knowledge for the choice of vocabulary had little to do with my education. Even I am guilty of using words at time that make other people look at me like I am going right over their head, because I am a fan of the big words from time to time; however these words weren't your run of the mill college level vocabulary. In fact it felt more like that game you used to play with your high school English teacher when you grab a thesaurus and try to throw all kinds of big words in there just to see if she was as smart as she thought you were. In the end all your left with is a story that is broken up by words that feel foreign and out of place. If this was an adult level novel then maybe I could have bypassed this, but it's not. It's targeted towards YA and there is no way a teenager is going to sit there with a dictionary to read a book that isn't required for school.

Would I rate this book higher if those words were replace with something more appropriate?
Yes absolutely! That alone would bump this up to 3 stars.

Then there is the problem with things like stating the obvious. While on one hand the vocab is a little too brainy and we are expected the readers to know what those words mean; we are over explaining things...a LOT. Things like She kicked him using her foot. Ummmmm OK. Well I certainly hope she didn't kick him using her arm because that would be one serious deformity. Also there was the overuse of the same common world to close together. Here is an example of what I am talking about, however this is not an exact quote from the book: She saw the tree up ahead. Gasping for air, she ran towards the tree. Again this is stuff that, when it happens, it pulls the reader out of the story, and leaves them feeling detached.

Overall I think this book has a really good premise, and the ability to be brilliant if in the hands of the right editor. I firmly believe an editor would have caught all of the things I mentioned above, and would have left this book with so much more depth because of it. I really wanted to love this book, and I really thought I would so it really pains me to say this, but I think this book needs a few more good edits before it's ready. Hopefully by book two we will see some real improvement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weaver.

10/08/2011

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Duperre Kayse, I'm so used to seeing your progress comments, that I get worried about a book when there's none there.

Darkfallen Robert wrote: "Kayse, I'm so used to seeing your progress comments, that I get worried about a book when there's none there."

In this case you should be worried...ya know the saying "Don't have anything nice to say..." lol

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review!! Yup! I would have never made it through and flopped it. I can't stand it when big mega brainy words are used and then like you said... the obvious is stated (Greta kicks Kaycee with her eyebrows and headbuts her with her kneecap). I mean like duhs! But as a male sci-fy writer I have come across a couple wannabe's out there and that's like how they write. I just don't gets it. Maybe it's a guy thing. But I do think that the sci-fi community is writing our future way way smarter than we are ever going to wind up. I mean... I'm still waiting on my flying car and housecleaning robot maid!!