Ken Moten's Reviews > The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda

The Black Banners by Ali H. Soufan

Dec 20, 2014

bookshelves: favorites, non-fiction-stuff, history-stuff, political-science-stuff, biography
Read from October 07 to November 07, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is phenomenal. It really gives you a forward behind the scenes view of what was happening in the fight against Al-Qaeda, mainly on the intelligence front. I must say that Agent Soufan was/is amazing in how he handles it all which is saying something when you consider that he was basically working with one hand tied behind his back because of a certain intelligence group that will not be named but it starts with a "C". The real sad thing is how heavily censored the book is, hopefully it will all be uncensored in time for the paperback. He really takes you in the worlds of espionage and terrorism and all of the hassles one deals with not only from foes but from "allies" in your own country. I surely hope we have more people like him in our intelligence community.

[December 2014]:
Wow, was 2011 that long ago! So if you watch the news, you know that everything that Ali Soufan talks about in this book has been confirmed by the government itself. If you have not read this book (beyond the parts that the CIA has censored, of course) you really should read this to understand what has been going on in the world of espionage/international relations/terrorism in the last 20-30 years. I sincerely hope that one day this book is published with the CIA redactions uncensored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Banners.

10/12/2011 page 203
33.0% "I don't usually do these smaal 'update progress' things because I feel them unnecessary, but this book is an exception! This story is simply amazing but at the same time practical enough. I doubt if Ian Flemming could make something so realistic yet so suspenseful (despite the fact that ALL of us know what is going to happen). Always excited to read what happens next. Now back to the story."
show 1 hidden update…