Ruvinika's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Rating:4.45

Since I couldn't find an 'all 5 book series' listing for this series I decided to comment on the last book (so far released).
This is a review on Fever series not only on 'Shadowfever'

Okay I personally don’t believe Karen started the story in the best way. It’s ridiculously odd for a sweet and innocent baby faced southern girl in her early 20’s going off on such an off country vengeance mission over her murdered sister.

It would have been more realistic if she went to Ireland for the same reason her sister went or Darroc went overboard and kidnap her to aid his malevolent plans in looking for the Sinsar Dubh.
But she sure does make it up to the readers by delivering a mind binding story during the next few books in the series leaving you attached to the books throughout the ride.... ;)

Without a doubt this is the most unpredictable urban fantasy/ paranormal romance series I’ve ever read...so far...
It is definitely out of the usual preternatural fiction boundaries.
The story revolves around Sinsar Dubh (shee sa du) a million year old book of deadly black magic, which holds the key to power over both the worlds of Fae & Man pursued by so many supernatural beings and MacKayla – a sidhe-seer of an ancient powerful bloodline (a Null) who can sense and track not only the book but also the other Seelie and Unseelie Hallows – get caught in the middle of the crossfire and everyone is trying to control her trying to get advantage of her no matter whatever the cost she has to pay over their greed.

What I most like about this series is that it doesn’t reveal some secrets until the near end of the last book.
The author keep introducing new secrets and suspicions, you keep reading the books predicting continuously and end up flabbergasted over the occurrences of the events.
I am usually really good at seeing things coming – yet this story left me startled so many times, I lost the count by time the story ends.
The problem is I foresee things but something else comes up which totally overrules my prediction so I end up discarding them.

Don’t worry though, it’s not a whirlpool of twists and twirls leaving you confused and frustrated.
The author gives your mind stretching exercises just enough to leave you bewildered not totally retarded. xD

I'm not saying that the novel series hadn't had any flaws, there were quite a few potholes author didn’t cover but when you can count the negatives out with so many positives, I like to give a book a chance to prove its worth.

I was in a love/hate relationship with the love interest of the main character MacKayla; Jericho Z. Barrons, a famous bookstore owner, antiquities collector and not quite human (to be honest I still have no clue what the heck he is; an ancient figure who reminds me of Greek mythology) who is also hunting the Sinsar Dubh.
He is a rigid, cold, brutally efficient killing machine, brilliant, cunning and utterly focused on what he wants at all times. He focuses his energy like a laser, slicing and dicing, rearranging reality to suit what he wants the best way he can get it.
Since the moment he met MacKayla and accepted that he wanted her, he has been ruthlessly manipulating and altering her, making her ultimately suitable for him and his plans.
He teaches her how to survive, make a fine tough woman out of her innocent baby girl persona. I don’t believe his methods are always the best and the easiest to endure but he somehow manages to evolve her for the best.
Karen says “I wanted to write a story with a male center-stage character that defied labels, and wouldn’t permit one. I wanted to make the reader choose to take him or leave him without the convenience of a pre-packaged tortured-hero caricature to slap over his outline, and no easy answers about whether he was good or bad.”
I have seen so many authors say similar things but in the end caught up in the trend and get lost. But Karen manages it so well.

Nevertheless we; the readers get to know what is what and who is who in the very end of the fifth book.
A mind-boggling ride I must say.

A series not only every Fae-fan but also every non-Fae-fan (like me… :D) should read … ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.