Jen Black's Reviews > Dark Matter

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Oct 08, 11

Recommended for: anyone

I read this book, which isn't too long, in a couple of days. I'd read a couple of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series, and liked Paver's writing style even though the books were aimed primarily at the young adult market. Dark Matter is primarily for adults. I found the prologue letter a little puzzling, but read on and picked up all the hints that this trip to the Arctic was going to be no light-hearted thing.

What I hadn't bargained for was the sheer compelling nature of the story. It wasn't that the pace got faster or slower, for in that respect, nothing changed. But the story itself had such power that I couldn't stop reading and finished it at around two am. By then, the prologue letter made perfect sense.

I have to tell you that as I switched the light out, I didn't like the darkness around me. And after a busy day, when I went to bed the following night, every time I closed my eyes, I opened them again pretty quickly. That story had staying power, and it makes me question the limitations of ghosts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Matter.