Shannon's Reviews > Jewels of the Sun

Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts

Nov 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

For the record, I picked this book to read for something fun and easy, a break from books that had complicated plots and made you think. Man, I was right about the latter, at least. The writing was entirely too flowery, and lacked concrete, physical description. The climaxes in the story (pun not intended), were incredibly disappointing and vague. At one point I even had to re-read a short paragraph because I hadn't realized what had been building up for several chapters had actually just occured. It was too hidden behind the excessively euphemistic language. The syntax often seemed elementary--when the reader can notice your parallel sentence structure, it's lame. There was too much froofy girly talk about clothes when it didn't seem necessary, and not enough talk about what clothes looked like when it did seem necessary.

And I wouldn't say I'm a general "romance novel" disliker, although the pull and tug of their storylines can be downright infuriating, but in this book specifically, the characters were morons (Jude Frances, at least). Oh, and I find it very hard to believe that characters born in the 1960s-70s in the Irish countryside, were actually named things like Brenna and Shawn. Sean, yes, but Americanized, much? And Aidan, while a legitimate name selection for a character then and there, just screams of I'm-going-to-pick-an-up-and-coming-popular-name-in-America-for-my-male-lead. Also, Jude is a boy's name, and I don't think Jude Frances' academian parents would've went with something other than conventional. And I don't think mythological fairies (whose eyes she says are blue, then later says are green) would have Anglicized Scottish place names for a name, nor that his lover would have a Welsh name. Oh, or that stories of Irish mythology involved pegasi.

There, now saying all that was fun. I feel like I was cheated out of my fun meaningless reading attempt. Isn't Nora Roberts supposed to be a bestselling author? I hope her other books are way better than this one! Romance can be written with way more skill (and historical accuracy) than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jewels of the Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pegweaver (new)

Pegweaver I had to re-read your review several times... hahaha!! I liked it... your review, not the book. I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts.

Shannon Heehee. Yeah, I didn't think she was a very good writer. I don't understand how she has a million bestsellers.