Shawn's Reviews > The Lotus Eaters

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

Oct 06, 11

Recommended for: Ever
Read in October, 2011

I enjoyed The Lotus Eaters very much. The author, Tatjana Soli, has gone beyond the limits of War genre, or Thriller genre, and she has succeeded in leading her readers to that place where we can look at our shared truth about today's global society. Soli illustrates woman's search for her place on Earth, and she uses captivating descriptions of Home versus Foreign. In one example, she returns to a foreign land and describes the smell, the green, the humidity, the heat that hits you like a bat, the smoke, the dirt, the sewer...in other words: home. One day as I was reading this book, I picked my wife up from work--I think things like this happen often when one reads, it's like buying a Ford and suddenly you notice all the Fords on the road--I picked her up from work and she asked, want to get a coffee? And I smiled and said it is just like when we lived abroad and we would meet after work, and stop for a coffee, sit all alone in a foreign land, strangers to everyone around us, and we'd look into each other's eyes and relax and smile, and we thought about what the song says, home is wherever I'm with you.
The Lotus Eaters reminds me of home. It is also a good historical novel about America during the Vietnam War, and it is about a woman growing up and deciding what to do with herself after college. This is the best novel I have read so far, this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lotus Eaters.