Ann's Reviews > Doing It

Doing It by Melvin Burgess

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: adultery, books-for-boys, coming-of-age, england, high-school, realistic, teachers, young-adult, sex, friendship, male-relationships
Read from October 06 to 09, 2011

Reading a book called "Doing It" lead to no end of tasteless jokes from my friends (nearly as many as when I read "Ragged Dick"), but unfortunately, that was my favorite part of reading this. (It was for class, p.s. - you can think about my poor reading choices when it comes to culinary mysteries and vampire chick-lit, but not this.) I can see its value in its honest portrayal of the mind of the typical teenage boy, but I didn't enjoy reading it at all. I didn't find any reason why I should care about anyone in the book since every character is using someone else (including all the adults). I normally don't feel like I need to find redeeming qualities in characters - I often like books that reveal more about human nature than we are comfortable with - but I hated how people treated each other and talked about each other, and it made me feel depressed about human relationships and interaction. Even characters that eventually had really sad things happen to them couldn't gain sympathy from me because I felt so disgusted by their previous behavior. I thought a lot about whether that is because I'm a girl and therefore don't understand the male mind, or something, but I think its more that I felt like this book was excusing the kinds of people that I don't think should be excused: misogynists, adulterers, abusers, and all with a kind of saucy "did I really just say that" attitude that drove me nuts. Or maybe it was just that the British slang that made me want to claw my eyes out, and I would have enjoyed this if I hadn't had to read "innit" all the time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doing It.