Frederick's Reviews > Nine Stories

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

Jul 04, 07

bookshelves: stories, salinger
Recommended for: People who love vignettes.
Read in March, 1975

This is my favorite Salinger book. It's a collection of his stories, most or all of which appeared in THE NEW YORKER from about 1947 to 1960 or so.
I find a definite erotic appeal in these stories. The characters sit in bed, cradling the phone, smoking cigarettes in an eternal Sunday morning. You'd have to see NOW, VOYAGER for a more charged depiction of cigarette-smoking.
I believe these people exist. They are lonely, insistent and awkward. Somehow, they are beautiful. They are not decadent, but the world around them is. They resist it by resisting each other.
I think NINE STORIES is overlooked, sales figures notwithstanding. Each story is a study of solitude. Somebody talks on the phone to somebody who isn't listening; somebody goes to the beach and frolics on a perfect day.
This is the master of the short story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Stories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne I'm actually not a huge Salinger fan, but now that you've brought up Now, Voyager in conjunction with Nine Stories, I may have to pick it up. ;)

Frederick Cigarette smoking has never been treated as thoroughly as in NINE STORIES.
I think you'll find the tone of these stories much different from the tone of CATCHER IN THE RYE. I think most of these are in the third person. They are ultimate examples of midcentury magazine writing, from a time when people bought magazines in order to read short stories.