Jenn's Reviews > Shadowfever

Oct 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, library, kindle, npr-top-100-romance
Read from December 02 to 05, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I'm conflicted about this book. Considering the pace of the other books in the series it seems like the author threw a bunch of stuff at you in this one. Plus, it felt like she added some things to kind of appease the reader. Stuff that could have been mentioned in the previous book, but wasn't. For example, bringing up that Mac knew what was going on towards the end of her stint as Pri ya. She tells Barrons that she knew what she was doing on the last day, but there was never any mention that she did when Mac was leaving the love basement. It was more of a 'wake up and get the hell out kind of moment' where the gave thought to staying.

I also thought the addition of Barrons's son was a little much, or could have been brought up in the fourth book... Like I said, considering the pace of the previous books, this book seemed a little jam packed full of stuff that could have been paced differently. It was a little much to take in at the end with so many theories and twists flying around. The book started to drag a little and my mind began to wander.

All in all, I enjoyed the series. It was quite addictive. I loved the post wall Ireland and the themes of the cycle of life and how things may get destroyed, yet there is a desire to rebuild. Things don't have to remain the same and steps backward need to be taken in some cases to move forward. The author provided some great quotes throughout. I found Mac's growth and self introspection very interesting as well as her conflict with light and dark, evil and good.

I like that she kept the book open ended to leave room for a series spin off. I just hope that it's not through the eyes of Dani and if it is I hope she matures a little because if I had to read a whole book through her perspective I'd probably shoot myself. Maybe through Kat or Jo. It would be interesting to see how the one beastly guy handles the fact that he can now die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

12/02/2011 "Damn cliff hangers! Downloaded from the libraries website on my iPhone and started reading it at work."

Jenn Yup. Dani bugged me beyond belief. At one point I thought that whoever the guy was that she was hanging out with would prove to be a player in the ending, but no. I hope the spin off series is through one of the older sidhe seers. Plus there's the one guy who hasn't spoken since his 'woman' was killed. I think that would be an interesting hook up.