Maureen's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in October, 2011

I agree with several other reviewers that this is not the book to start with the Wallender series. I have read all the previous ones and tried to do so in order. Wallender felt like someone I knew personally, not someone I would always like, sometimes he really is an unlikable character, but someone I would respect and would want to like me. I liked that he is so flawed in so many ways but also so smart and tenacious and hard working. I didn't know that it was Mankell's last Wallender book and so I was actually a little stunned and quite sad at the end. The mystery preceding the ending was really forgotten in the contemplation of the end of the character.

As an aside, I hate how Mankell describes the age of 60 as sliding into old age. Wallender He goes on and on about Wallendar contemplating the twighlight of his life and what kind of death he will experience. That was VERY depressing. I don't think my 60 years + friends think that way - then again, maybe they do and just don't talk about it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryellen (new)

Maryellen Although I'm not quite there yet, I agree. Don't they say that 60 is the new 40?

J.R. Yes, I agree about the age business. Doesn't he know that 60 is the new 40?

Kathy If you have read all the Wallander books, how come you can't spell his name?