Anna's Reviews > The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak

The Will to Climb by Ed Viesturs

Jan 10, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: audio, cold-books
Read from October 24, 2011 to January 10, 2012

Maybe I took too much time to listen to this book - perhaps that's why I couldn't seem to follow the structure of it. It seemed to jump around between different expeditions to Annapurna too much. Annapurna sounds horrible! Apparently, it's not technically difficult but without any somewhat safe routes and a relatively high number of people die on it compared to those who make it to the top. Viesturs has climbed all 14 8,000 metre mountains and he has climbed them without oxygen. I'm certainly amazed and impressed by that.

I'm not usually bored by cold books or books about climbing scary mountains but this one was a bit dull. I don't think the problem was the narrator - he seemed to do a fine job. I also got a bit tired of Viesturs going on about how much he missed Paula and his kids and he couldn't wait to get back to them and yet he was constantly going off and leaving them. It just felt a little "protest too much" to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Will to Climb.

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I love that you have a shelf just for "cold books." :)

Anna I do! I just love books about survival and exploration in cold places. Now and again, I'll read a warm one too like Tragedy of the Essex.