Dionisia's Reviews > There Is No Long Distance Now

There Is No Long Distance Now by Naomi Shihab Nye

Jan 26, 12

liked it
bookshelves: advance-reading-copy, fiction, first-reads, short-stories, own, north-america
Read from January 22 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

This was such a sweet little book. I received it as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. Forty very short stories all exploring the many ways that people communicate with each other. Some showed that no matter our proximity to others, we can create vast distances between ourselves and the people around us by simply remaining silent. Other stories exhibited how simple it can be to create connections with people. We live in a time where information can travel across the world in a matter of seconds. Like the title alludes to, great distances aren't the impediments to communication they once were. The ability to draw closer to someone, or to merely reinforce the distances that lie between two people, may ultimately depend on the way we choose to interact with others and how we express ourselves.

The stories had an easy flow and covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Death, growing up, displacement, fear, love, and the myriad of connections that people make in their daily lives. I enjoyed seeing some of the characters pop up again in later stories. Out of the forty stories, "Mailbox" and "Freshen Up" were the two that stuck out the most and became my favorites of the bunch.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is No Long Distance Now.

01/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "Making headway with all the books I couldn't take with me on my travels. Happy to finally start this one!"
01/24/2012 page 57
22.0% "Stories have an easy flow. Will probably finish in a day or two."
show 2 hidden updates…