Nallely Lemus's Reviews > Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida

Parrot in the Oven by Victor Martinez

F 50x66
Oct 10, 11

The book parrot in the oven is a very interesting book about earning respect. The book is told by a young teenage boy named Manny Herandez. Throughout the book he has many moments when he tries to earn respect by working, fighting, and getting involved with gangs. He decides to start off working by picking chilies because he wants to buy a baseball glove, but then he stops working because something crazy happens. Manny gets in a fight through the book for a very dumb reason. Manny thinks by getting in a gang it will help him get respect but throughout the book he noticied that was a big mistake. The setting of the book are in the projects. The setting is small because everyone is close by and it is kind of dangerous because of the gangs.

My opinion on this book is that I really like it. I like it because many people can relate to the narrator. Also it's a real life story. Lastly, I like the way the author wrote the book because it was easy to read.

The reading level of this book is for middle school students. This book if for middle school students because it's easy,fast to read, has easy words and short chapters. I think the genre of the book is realistic fiction because some parts seem real but some parts seem fake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parrot in the Oven.