Lara 's Reviews > The Mark of Athena

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Nov 25, 12

bookshelves: adventure, awesome-side-characters, captivating, constant-smiles, cute-side-couples, dash-of-romance, demi-gods, favourites, funny-dialog, great-series, action, love-triangle, loved-every-moment, multiple-pov, romance, sarcastic, sequal-not-negotiable, tweens, unpredictable
Recommended for: Fans of Percy Jackson, Greek mythology, action and adventure.
Read from October 05 to 07, 2012, read count: 1

Where the previous books in the series have been funny, action packed and adventurous, The Mark of Athena does it infinitely better. This book has it all: character and relationship development, and action packed plot. Basically, this book was the bomb:

The book picks up from where we were at The Son of Neptune . We finally, finally get to see Percybeth reunited an entertaining fashion (view spoiler). However, the reunion is cut short when, in typical demi-god style, not everything goes according to plan. Thus, within 20 pages of the book we already have some action!

After the mishaps (view spoiler), our heroes begin the quest. Told from four alternating perspectives, this book is all about the quest of sailing to the ancient land (ie. Rome) to find the Doors of Death. On the way, the characters go on mini-quests and then report back in the Argo II.

In these mini-quests we really get a feel for the characters. The character development in this book was gold. Jason, who I've never really liked, gained my respect. Piper, who is cool but a damsel in distress changes our perception of her. Leo by default is awesome but in this book he becomes very relatable (view spoiler). Percy, who we think we know, we see from different angels that give us more understanding of him as a character. We really empathize with Hazel and Frank in their complicated situations. Despite all these good characters, Annabeth stole the show. She has always been brave and intelligent but in this book she really demonstrates just how brave and intelligent she is. Basically, if you didn't like certain characters before hand, you at the very least respect them by the end. And if you don't:

Just kidding. People are entitled to their own opinions.

Talking about character development: relationship development. Percybeth in this book was different. Typically, they have a "lighthearted, awkward, teasing relationship." In this book we see Annabeth distance herself from everyone because she needs to be secretive. Percy is still the same but he develops a major fear and grows slightly weary of the hero life. As a result of the character changes, the relationship changes. I can see how people don't like these changes but I personally applaud them because it shows Percy and Annabeth are growing up and maturing.

The other relationship which was developed was Jasper. You can see how they are sort of perfect for each other. On the other hand, I can see the issues with their relationship because:
1) Piper likes Jason for what she wants him to be
2) Jason is impassive.

If you don't like the relationship and character development there is lots of action. We have our usual selection of monsters which our heroes fight them off with their God given powers. I particularly liked that the heroes didn't just try to brute force beat an opponent. If the other person was stronger, faster, or just genuinely better, the hero would use their intelligence to beat them. In this book you understand what that, "being a hero doesn’t mean you’re invincible. It just means that you’re brave enough to stand up and do what’s needed."

Finally, the plot in this book was... different. Generally, Riordan's plots are formulamatic: Hero receives a prophecy and completes it (albeit, not according to plan and just in time). In The Mark of Athena there are three prophecies which are stated in a slightly confusing fashion which makes it hard for you as the reader to really grasp all of them (although, I did read this at 12 am - my brain wasn't functioning at it's potential). Despite this, we do know that there is a basic plot: find the Doors of Death. It could be argued that that is really all we need.

To summarise, this book was good like the get-off-your-butt-and-go-buy-a-copy, page turning, this-should-be-more-popular good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mark of Athena.

Quotes Lara Liked

Rick Riordan
“On the bright side," Percy said, "both Jason and I outrank you, Octavian. So we can both tell you to shut up.”

Rick Riordan
“I try not to think. It interferes with being nuts" - Leo Valdez”

Rick Riordan
“Never seen Jason fly before," Percy grumbled. "He looks like a blond Superman”

Rick Riordan
“Percy smiled at her - that sarcastic troublemaker smile that had annoyed her for years but eventually had become endearing. His sea-green eyes were as gorgeous as she remembered. His dark hair was swept to one side, like he'd just come from a walk on the beach. He looked even better than he had six months ago - tanner and taller, leaner and more muscular.

Percy threw his arms around her. They kissed and for a moment nothing else mattered. An asteroid could have hit the planet and wiped out all life, and Annabeth wouldn't have cared.”

Rick Riordan
“Like water leaking through a dam," said Piper.
"Yeah," smiled Percy. "We've got a dam hole."
"What?" Piper asked.
"Nothing," he said. "Inside joke.”

Rick Riordan
“Hercules,huh? Percy frowned. "That guy was like the Starbucks of Ancient Greece. Everywhere you turn--there he is.”

Rick Riordan
“He climbed up behind Hazel. Arion took off across the water, the nymphs screaming behind them, and Narcissus shouting, "Bring me back! Bring me back!" As Arion raced towards the Argo II, Leo remembered what Nemesis had said about Echo and Narcissus: Perhaps they'll teach you a lesson. Leo had thought she'd meant Narcissus, but now he wondered if the real lesson for him was Echo--invisible to her brethren, cursed to love someone who didn't care for her. A seventh wheel. He tried to shake that thought. He clung to the sheet of bronze like a shield. He was determined never to forget Echo's face. She deserved at least one person who saw her and knew how good she was. Leo closed his eyes, but the memory of her smile was already fading.”

Rick Riordan
“People usually asked her if she had a belly button. Of course she had a belly button. She couldn't explain how. She didn't really want to know.”

Rick Riordan
“We're staying together," he promised. "You're not getting away from me. Never again.”

Rick Riordan
“It's okay,” he said. “We're together.” He didn't say you're okay, or we're alive. After all they'd been through over the last year, he knew that the most important thing was that they were together. She loved him for saying that.”

Rick Riordan
“He had no idea where the stereotype of dumb giggly blondes came from. Ever since he'd met Annabeth at the Grand Canyon last winter,when she'd marched toward him with that Give me Percy Jackson or I’ll kill you expression, Leo had thought of blondes as much too smart and much too dangerous.”

Rick Riordan
“Percy, let me go" she croaked. "You can't pull me up."
His face was white with effort. She could see in his eyes that he knew it was hopeless.
"Never," he said. He looked up at Nico, fifteen feet above.
"The other side, Nico! We'll see you there. Understand?"
Nico's eyes widened. "But-"
"Lead them!" Percy shouted. "Promise me!"
"I-I will."
Below them, the voice laughed in the darkness. Sacrifices. Beautiful sacrifices to wake the goddess.
Percy tightened his grip on Annabeth's wrist. His face was gaunt, scraped and bloody, his hair dusted with cobwebs, but when he locked eyes with her, she thought he had never looked more handsome.
"We're staying together," he promised. "You're not getting away from me. Never again."
Only then did she understand what would happen. A one-way trip. A very hard fall.
"As long as we're together," she said.
She heard Nico and Hazel still screaming for help. She saw sunlight far, far above- maybe the last sunlight she would ever see.
Then Percy let go of his ledge, and together, holding hands, he and Annabeth fell into the endless darkness.”

Rick Riordan
“This is Annabeth,” Jason said. “Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people.”

Rick Riordan
“I could have killed you.”
“Or I could have killed you,” Percy said.
Jason shrugged. “If there’d been an ocean in Kansas, maybe.”
“I don’t need an ocean—”
“Boys,” Annabeth interrupted, “I’m sure you both would’ve been wonderful at killing each other. But right now, you need some rest.”
Food first,” Percy said. “Please?”

Rick Riordan
“Delaying death is one of my favorite hobbies”

Rick Riordan
“The first lesson every child of Athena learned: Mom was the best at everything, and you should never, ever suggest otherwise.”

Rick Riordan
“Naturally, Coach Hedge went ballistic; but Percy found it hard to take the satyr seriously since he was barely five feet tall.
"Never in my life!" Coach bellowed, waving his bat and knocking over a plate of apples. "Against the rules! Irresponsible!"
"Coach," Annabeth said, "it was an accident. We were talking, and we fell asleep."
"Besides," Percy said, "you're starting to sound like Terminus."
Hedge narrowed his eyes. "Is that an insult, Jackson? 'Cause I'll—I'll terminus you, buddy!”

Rick Riordan
“Very slowly using two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth tried for a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation.

"You other two..." He pointed his blade a Hazel and Piper. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus--"

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.”

Rick Riordan
“Stop!" Narcissus got to his feet. "This is not right! This person is obviously not awesome, so he must be..." He struggled for the right words. It had probably been a long time since he'd talked about anything other than himself. "He must be tricking us."

Apparently Narcissus wasn't completely stupid.”

10/05/2012 page 257
10/05/2012 page 340
55.0% "After all those labors I had to complete for my evil cousin Eurystheus, well…I don’t want to be that guy, you know?"
10/06/2012 page 500
82.0% "Being a hero doesn’t mean you’re invincible. It just means that you’re brave enough to stand up and do what’s needed"

message 1: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake yes i was freaking out too when i finishd the son i just sat there for thinking why would he do that?!! now ima be going crazy for next year checking every single website i can for updates and clues trying to formulate my own ideas which i did for the son and they were all wrong by the way but still pure agony!!!!! ugg

Arwyn I know!!! I CANT WIAT FOR THIS BOOK! Oh my gods!!!!!! so pissed and cant wait!! I agree that im so gunnah go crazy!

Natalie same here! waited in agony for 8 months for SON, got it, read it. AND NOW I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE BLOODY YEAR FOR THE NEXT ONE! what is this :'(

message 5: by Lara (last edited Oct 17, 2011 02:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Alicia: I know, right? I have spent so much time already re-reading, dissecting and analyzing The Son of Neptune for things. Tell me if you get any cool ideas!
Arwyn: I ALREADY am going crazy, ahhh!
Natalie: Yes, totally and utter a-g-o-n-y! Seriously, I wish I could just hibernate for the next 9 months!

message 6: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake Lara wrote: "Alicia: I know, right? I have spent so much time already re-reading, dissecting and analyzing The Son of Neptune for things. Tell me if you get any cool ideas!
Arwyn: I already AM going crazy, ahhh..."

yeah sure thing :) the only thing i actually guessed right for the son was that the entrance for camp jupiture was near the caldecott tunnel hahaha :) but yeah

message 7: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick i just spent about 7-8 hours reading the son non stop and now im so mad at riordan for ending with a cliffhanger!!! been checking websites for hints about mark of athena and cant wait for a entire year!!!!! but on another note happy that athena is one of the seven and cant wait to see what she can do in rome...

message 8: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake Nick wrote: "i just spent about 7-8 hours reading the son non stop and now im so mad at riordan for ending with a cliffhanger!!! been checking websites for hints about mark of athena and cant wait for a entire ..."

athena cant be one of the seven gods cant have quests that freaking messed up!!!! what the freak?!!!

Lara Nick: Aww, I know it sucks right? Totally not cool. We don't know if Annabeth (I think you meant Annabeth, not Athena) is one of the seven, but I still can't wait to see what she does in Rome too!

Alica: Haha, chill, I think Nick meant Annabeth not Athena because Annabeth would make a LOT more sense.

message 10: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake ok yeah that makes sense hahaha :)

Arwyn Alicia wrote: "Lara wrote: "Alicia: I know, right? I have spent so much time already re-reading, dissecting and analyzing The Son of Neptune for things. Tell me if you get any cool ideas!
Arwyn: I already AM goin..."

im so pissed, they just need to make it a #1 priority and have it out by the beginning of the year, then he wount have to fear us. :)

Lara Exactly my thoughts!!! I mean the rational part of me is saying 'Let him take his time so that he can do the best job possible' but then the fan side of me is thinking 'stuff it, I want... no scratch that I NEED it now!'

Arwyn haha, what do you think this books going to mostly be about?

message 14: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake i think its goona be abt annabeth and whatever hera/juno mentioned abt her and rome and what whatever ella mentioned abt the mark of athena :/

Lara Hmm, well I think that after they have there little catch up they're probably going to go to Rome or Greece (because, correct me if I'm wrong, In TLH Annabeth and co. were going to go to Greece after picking up Percy) and they are going to kick some butt :)
Whose perspective you think it will be from?

message 16: by Maeve (new) - added it

Maeve Prob. Annabeth, (someone, maybe Percy but maybe not), Leo or Hazel, yup. idk

message 17: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake i think annabeth maybe reyna??? and theres a rumor one the gods is also one idk :/

message 18: by Maeve (new) - added it

Maeve Alicia wrote: "i think annabeth maybe reyna??? and theres a rumor one the gods is also one idk :/"

nah, not a god. RR wouldnt do that. but u are right so far i think?

Lara Gods can't go on quests?
Can't wait to finally read something from Annabeth's perspective. Hope Percy is one of the narrators, its always 100 times funnier when he's there!
Oh! And looks what I just found on Ricks blog:
"In the meantime, sorry about the cliffhanger in The Son of Neptune . . . wait, no I’m not! I always do cliffhangers. I’m just evil that way. But rest assured, there was a reason I had to end the book there."
Good to know that there was a reason... not that makes whole cliffhanger situation any better.

message 20: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake yeah right now im just wondering what the hell is the reason it ended right there?

Arwyn i know, left me with way more questions then it answered. pissed me off, but i think your right, probably annabeths pov. and percy's, maybe even a little of Jason's.

message 22: by Maeve (new) - added it

Maeve yup. hope so. or else this book will suck... nah just kidding. see u in a year!

message 23: by Lara (last edited Oct 26, 2011 10:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Alicia: personally I'm hoping this 'reason' he had to end the book there is because a fight breaks out, or something with lots of action happens!
Arwyn: The unanswered questions really annoyed me too! Crossing my fingers that The Mark of Athena doesn't have bad a cliffhanger or so many unanswered questions!
Maeve: As long as it by Rick it just cannot possibly suck!

message 24: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake yeah that would be cool i mean if it just skips that whole reunion with the two camps and the whole sammy/leo and hazel and percy and annabeth and jason and reyna and piper and that id have to kill rick cuz thats what im lookking forward to :)

message 25: by Maeve (new) - added it

Maeve I was kidding! Yaya! hurry, RR!

Lara Alicia: Totally agree! He CANNOT skip the reunion. Particularly looking forward to Hazel’s reaction with the Leo ‘reincarnation of Sammy’ thing. Its going to be really awkward for Leo but he’ll just probably shrug it off by making a joke of it...
Maeve (cool name by the way): Thought so, but had to be sure ;).

message 27: by Maeve (new) - added it

Maeve does he have to be the reincarnation? maybe he is related or something. it said that Sammy had kids. i dont know, maybe something like that? or reincarnation.
P.S. thx!

message 28: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake idk i mean do you look the same when u choose rebirth or what? i mean ima have to seach that up or something its so confusing!!!! my gosh what was he thinking when he just ugggg :P

Lara Maeve: Excellent point! I am ashamed I didn't think of that myself. He could totally be one of Sammy's kids! Wow.. that would be so awkward for Hazel. But it seems kind of weird that his child would look EXACTLY the same... hmm.
P.S. Your welcome! :D
Alicia: I'm don't know much about the specifics of rebirth. Tell me if you find anything!
I agree, ugggg says it all.

message 30: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake errg :P i searched 5 different websites and nothing says nothing :P ill have to hit the libary

Lara 5 different websites and nothing? Oh my god! That is so annoying, I think Rick needs to chose easier topics to research. Hehe, have fun in the library :)

message 32: by Arwyn (last edited Nov 11, 2011 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arwyn but then it would get rid of the mystery if you could find it so easy

message 33: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake errrg :P 3 different libarys and still nothing what the freak?! did the greeks believe in reincarnation or not?!

message 34: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake uggg ive been on the computer for an hour and a half looking this up and the only thing i got was yeah at some point the greeks did believe if you chose rebirth 3 times and always go elysium youd go to the isles of the blessed :P but nothing on what you looked like while you were living again :/

Lara Arwyn: That is very true, don't want something boring an predictable, mystery is good. Just, ughhh, inner fan girl really wants to know what is happening even if it is going to totally ruin the next book for me.
Alicia: Hm... I know they definitely did believe in rebirth, and you had to be in Elysium to get it, but I can find nothing in its specifics either! Ughh, that is just a touch annoying

message 36: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake oh well i guess ill just have to live with this agonizing pain of not being able to know for another year :/

Lara Don't give up hope, a year is a long time, we might find something :). Hehe. Can't wait until the sneak peak chapter is released. They are always epic :D

message 38: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake IKR im excited but i dont know if i can wait till june hahaha :) maybe we will find something i might be going to utah for christmas and their libary is way better than here maybe i can find something there :)

Arwyn ohh, hope you read some really good books

Lara Alicia: Utah? I am so jealous! Anyway, what Arwyn said, hope you find/read good books :). And of course, keep us updated if you find anything on reincarnation in Greece ... (or have we decided this is a lost cause?)

message 41: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake im not entirely sure im gonna see if i cant find the illiad or the odyssey or something like that since thats where we get most of greek mythology you know so it may be a lost cause or maybe not :/

message 42: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake but i will keep ya posted

Arwyn hows it going? hows utah?

message 44: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake nothing really on i went on a fan website to see what other ppl think but nothing really :/ and un fortunately i am not in utah im still stuck here :P

Lara Oh! Can you please link us the website? Thanks :). And have fun in Utah, when you get there. :D
Sigh, this really is depressing. I wish Riordan would send us monthly teaser, clues... anything!

message 46: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Jake http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-heroe... thats the fan website im logged in as pjfreak1o1 in case you wanted to find me :) and yes i wish hed post more abt the book on his blog :P

Jonah Mcmullen I need the Mark of Athena I cant wait for another year.

Arwyn i agree!

message 49: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte Knappe I dont want it by Annabeths view its Percys series i dont want Rick riordan to make it from her view!!!

Lara Jonah & Arwyn: I think you both already know what my opinion on this is ;)
Charlotte: Aren't you a BIT curious about what goes on in that genius head of hers? Plus, we have already had plenty of other people's point of view so why not one more?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6