Tara's Reviews > Book of a Thousand Days

Jun 08, 08

bookshelves: uta-bookclub, ya, fantasy, 2008
Recommended for: Holly
Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** My first impression of this book was not a good one. The diary style writing and the formal writing that came with the nobility/servant relationship did not captivate me for about the first third of the book. The whole time spent in the tower really moved slowly for me. And I was so frustrated with Lady Saren's behavior. There were some parts that I enjoyed, though. For example, Dashti and Khan Tegus's first interactions in the tower were fun. Teasing and wit always entered their conversations. I really got into the story, though, when Lady Saren and Dashti reached the home of Khan Tegus. Dashti's courage, loyalty, perseverance, and caring heart stood out. Lady Saren began to gain some confidence in herself. Tegus showed that he loves Dashti for who she was, mucker and lady's maid and all. I found I was laughing at myself for judging the book too early ( like I always do ). I didn't think that I was going to like the writing style and I just could not get into the story. Next thing I know, the diary style writing was personal and illuminating to me. I loved Dashti's little descriptions. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to this pair of girls. It was a fun read. It makes me want to try reading some of Shannon Hale's other books.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of a Thousand Days.