Christina's Reviews > Dark Edge of Honor

Dark Edge of Honor by Aleksandr Voinov

Oct 06, 2011

bookshelves: m-m-romance, military, sci-fi, enemies-to-lovers
Read from June 10 to 15, 2012

4.5 Stars

*****slight spoilers

This was a great book. I fell head over heels in love with Sergei. Sergei Stolkov is a Captain in the Doctrine. Sergei is part of the force that is trying to take control of the planet Cirokko. He is young and naive. Although he is a loyal soldier, his deepest desires go against the core philosophy of the Doctrine. The Doctrine believes that every action and every decision is made for the collective good. It is ingrained in everyone. The needs of the individual are not even a consideration. The SciFi geek in me kept comparing the Doctrine to the Borg. All the Doctrine needed was to be flying around in a cube :)

Mike is a spy in the Alliance who was sent to gather information on the Doctrine's invasion of Cirokko. One of his objectives was to seduce Sergei and use any information gathered to get ahead of the invasion and stop them before it begins.

Mike shows Sergei a taste of freedom. A freedom to be who he wants to be. To take the "mask" off. Sergei is constantly struggling with who he wants to be and ashamed of not living up the Doctrine. Mike tries to show Sergei what it means to make your own choices. It's ironic that for all Mike's hatred of the Doctrine's beliefs, many times he ends up putting his own feelings aside for the good of the Alliance.

I loved seeing the development in Sergei's character, to open himself up to emotion, to love. We got to experience everything right along with him. My heart broke for him. I didn't connect with Mike as strongly as I did with Sergei. I think his character was a bit underdeveloped. I didn't feel there was much depth to him. I would have liked to have seen more of him struggling with his feelings for Sergei. We know that he loves him, and time and time again he has to choose between Sergei and his mission but I didn't feel his anguish.

I also wanted more world building. I was fascinated by the planet and the dynamics between the Alliance and the Doctrine. How did they become enemies? What was unique about Cirokko? Was it just to get another planet to follow the Doctrine ways or was there more? I wanted to know more about the indigenous life on Cirokko. Also, how far in the future did this take place in?

I also thought the ending was a bit rushed. I loved Nikishin and wanted to see more of him confronting Mike and Pat at the end, and I felt unsettled how we left Sergei. Although I'm happy with his decision, I wanted to see him dealing with the consequences. How Nikishin and the Doctrine dealt with what happened would have also been a bonus.

I guess I'm saying I want more! I want more of Nikishin and (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Edge of Honor.

Quotes Christina Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“Sergei remembered well how unsettled Nikishin had been by the arm and leg that day. Then, it had made him sneer inwardly, but it was difficult to maintain that derision since he began to like the man. Trust him even. And that could be dangerous enough, laws being what they were, Nikishin being who he was. Never mind that any normal individual would be revolted by Sergei’s current physical state, and justifiably so. Cyborg patchwork over mangled flesh. The pinnacle of attractive. He’d always been different, a freak. Now it was just visible. Impossible to hide.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Dark Edge of Honor

Aleksandr Voinov
“Did you order it to kidnap me? Or was that its own idea?” Sergei stepped closer, fighting the urge to punch the man and then check that he was all right. None of those responses made any sense.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Dark Edge of Honor
tags: sergei

06/11/2012
19.0% "I'm hooked!" 8 comments
06/13/2012
56.0% "I can't believe Sergei never questioned Mike more about who he really is." 2 comments
06/13/2012
58.0% "OMG, Sergei! No, no, no, that did not just happen. I am so pissed at Mike right now. I wonder if he's still worried about his damn cover!"
06/15/2012
78.0% "Bye, Bye General!" 4 comments
06/05/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Monique ~ Sinfully Looking forward to see what you think of this...looks good..:)

Christina So far I'm really enjoying it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed the second half of this book. I struggled with it up to the 45% point but then it took off.

Christina Yeah Aiko said she couldn't put it down at that point. I was into it from almost the beginning but I wish there was a little more world building.