Tyson Adams's Reviews > The Genesis Flaw

The Genesis Flaw by L.A. Larkin

Nov 06, 11

Read from October 28 to November 06, 2011 — I own a copy

I got a lot of mileage out of the Sydney Writers' Festival this year. Saw a lot of great authors and presentations, picked up some fantastic books and had a good time. I'd like to see my local Perth Writers' Festival get the same sponsorship so they could put on a big event too. I'm looking at you Dymocks!

Anyway, I saw LA Larkin talk about her writing and the book The Genesis Flaw and managed to miss out on picking up a copy. I blame the scheduling and Sydney baristas for not knowing how to make a real cup of tea. Fortunately The Sydney Writers' Centre were kind enough to send me a copy. Yes I'm getting to the review.

I've read three or four GM crop themed thriller novels this year, this was the most realistic of them by far. At the Writers' Festival LA mentioned some of her research methods, put lightly she goes to great lengths, even Antarctica (she even mentioned a hackers conference she attended and how to spot the undercover cops). A still hate the anti-GM themes in books, being a plant scientist and all.

Despite this, LA has put together a very believable and engaging thriller. I was caught up in the story and liked the more realistic ending to the novel. This was an engaging tale of David vs Goliath, people who have had their phone hacked vs Rupert Murdoch, 99% against the 1% (that'll get the site traffic up). This book is well worth a read if you like the idea of an eco-thriller to make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Genesis Flaw.

10/31/2011 page 100