Haya's Reviews > Angel Star

Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia

EDITED!
took me a while, I guess {:

RATING: 0.5 OGRE FARTS

Seventeen-year-old Teagan McNeel falls for captivating Garreth Adams and soon discovers that her crush has an eight-point star etched into the palm of his right hand - the mark of an angel.
But where there is light, dark follows, and she and Garreth suddenly find themselves vulnerable to a dark angel's malicious plan that could threaten not only her life, but the lives of everyone she knows.
Divinely woven together, Angel Star takes readers on a reflective journey when one angel's sacrifice collides with another angel's vicious ambition in a way that is sure to have readers searching for their own willpower.

Angel Star is nothing but a rectangular object filled with bullpoop. I read a lot of reviews and not many were raving about how super awesome this book is, so I didn't have high expectations for it. But as I read the first five chapters, I already wanted to kill Teagan, crucify Garreth, push the author off a bridge, and light the book on fire (the chapters are short, btw). And when I finished the book, I wished I had the power to grow twenty feet tall so I could easily climb the Empire State Building and let out a Tarzan-King-Kong kind of jungle roar that would've hopefully fully expressed my frustration and annoyance with the YA-book world. And maybe I would've snatched a few authors just to make my point clear.

The problem with Angel Star isn't just one thing; it's EVERYTHING! Not only is the protagonist all "Bella, Bella," but the love interest is a pansy, the plot is fast, confusing, hazy and incoherent most of the time, and I don't see the need for a love triangle. There were some ideas that I really liked: When I came across some sort of originality, I perked up a little. I thought, "Hey, things are looking up! The sun is peaking behind the clouds! World peace is about to settle! No more famines and droughts and poverty and homelessness in the world!" but then Teagan would say or think something stupid (like, "OH, GOSH! GARRETH'S EYES ARE SOOOOO PRETTY AND SOOOOO BLUE AND SOOOOO LIGHT THEY ARE ALMOST THE COLOR OF WATER!" << I know! I was like, "WT-HUH? Since when does water have a color? ") or Garreth would say something stupid (like, "Oh beautiful Teagan, I stalked you ever since you were born, but it's not stalking really 'cause I'm your [awesome, hot, swoon-worthy] guardian angel! And I'm in LUUUUUUUUUUUURVE with yew!" or something ridiculously stupid and cheesy like that) or the author wrote something stupid (like, EVERYTHING! ) that I just gave up hoping the story would turn out even remotely good or time-worthy. The sad thing is, I woke up one morning with my heart pounding with anticipation to continue with the story (apparently, I'd forgotten all the stupid, stupid STUPIDITY--a euphemism for a VERY, VERY STUPID, TWILIGHT-CLICHED plot), but when my eyes settled on the words, my heart sank with the painful realization that it was NOT a good book and my head started aching. I wanted this book to be over faster than the words, "I love Garreth [the pansy]."

I've been rambling on and on about how crappy this book is, so why don't I point them out?

1. The Author's Writing: I'll just describe the horror called Jennifer Murgia's Writing in simple words: horrific, ridiculous, offensive, anti-feminist, appalling, enraging, immature, Kindergarten-ish, grammar-less, blasphemous, contradictory, nondescript, redundant, superfluous... I can go on forever.

2. The Characters: There is honestly nothing remarkable about Teagan. She is just that sad, pathetic puppet the author uses to express how awesome [the author] is. Teagan is NOT the example of the perfect heroine--not even close! She is the perfect example of why people like her should be locked up in a BAD HEROINE's jailhouse. She is so stupid and so full of herself and so selfish and stupid that it's not even funny! For example: (view spoiler) Ugh. *rubs temples to soothe migraine.*

Then you have pansy Garreth who I doubt is really a guy. Really, Ms. Murgia, really? Couldn't you have added a little more traits to Garreth to clear my confusion? Like his love for pink and rainbows and makeup and dresses and whatever else (same goes to all those authors out there who have wimpy "guys" as main characters)? Men in love aren't all about acting as ridiculous as a girl would. This is the problem with female authors: they don't know how a guy actually thinks. They just add traits that they'd want their fantasy guy to be, and thus, the story is ruined, and the reader wants to hunt them down with pitchforks and torches and order them to get the hell out of town (or the universe, maybe, in my case).

But honestly, who wants a pansy for a boyfriend?

Then there's Hadrian. Hadrian, Hadrian, Hadrian. What is there to say about him? (view spoiler) Yeah, random moment...
Anyway, I don't know if Hadrian is or isn't a random character thrown in to this mess of a book to add drama, although it sort of feels like he was thrown in 'cause it seemed to me that Teagan and Garreth were having a wild time all by themselves (note the sarcasm. They hardly do ANYTHING interesting). And I still don't get the love triangle. What is so nice and sexy that emanates from him that make Teagan forget her name and [pansy] Garreth's?

NOTHING! 'Cause the character development is NADA!

3. The romance: I know I'm reading a good romance when I feel the sparks zap at me, and all the love diffuse into me, and when the two of interest kiss, all the chemistry hastily accumulates and is thrown head-on at me, causing me to burn and melt. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that at ALL with Teagan and Garreth, and Teagan and Hadrian. For Garreth and Hadrian, their love for Teagan is practical, since they've known her since ever, but Teagan's love for both of them is just like, wtf? Since when does someone go head over heels over someone the moment they make mere eye contact? It's irrational. And anyway, there's nothing remarkable about Teagan. She's just a very boring person who was probably dropped a little too many times on her head 'cause a lot of her actions were just nonsensical.

4. The Plot: The story seemed to last 50 pages, not the 200 and so. The pace was so fast and confusing and instead of imagining the proceedings going on, I imagined a whirlwind, and when I finally realized what was going on, I had a migraine.

Furthermore, there's no plot. I'm serious. The plot is another of those Twilight cliches where there's a very loose plot just so that the reader wouldn't feel like they're reading a sappy, love story. I mean, I'm sure the author would just LOVE to write about Teagan and Garreth's [nonexistent] romance all day long, but then again, she doesn't want to be cast out of the universe.

But I'mma hunt her down anyway (:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Star.