Mikael Lind's Reviews > Living in the End Times

Living in the End Times by Slavoj Žižek

Dec 15, 12

bookshelves: philosophy, politics, ideology
Read from October 06, 2011 to December 14, 2012

Zizek is not even close to answering the questions you expect him to answer when you read the introduction. This book is a mixture of interesting facts and questions and a hit-and-miss theoretical gymnastics. Zizek often manages to grab your attention in just a few sentences, and sometimes he completes his line of thought with something very interesting, thought-provoking and witty. It does often happen that he completely loses the thread and puts the reader in a far too theoretical Lacanian/Hegelian mess. In order to manage to complete this book, I simply skipped these parts and went straight to the next chapter. I know that, having done this, there's no way I will have fully understood Zizek. However, this is also what I like about the book. There are riddles to be solved, and I will probably go back to the book later and try to follow in the more theoretical pages what Zizek is actually wanting to say. A good read, but be prepared to be confused!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living in the End Times.