Clint's Reviews > Kim

Kim by Rudyard Kipling

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in October, 2011

This was a lot cooler than I had orginally thought it would be. It's kind of plotless, just a long slice of life kind of story, but a pretty fucking cool life to take a slice of. I've never been to India, and I'm sure it's nothing like this book anymore, but the setting here is so well-put and awesome. I'm not going to go into the racist, sexist, or imperialistic underpinnings of this book, because it's been done so many times before, and to no good end.

Strangely, the lama, when he starts to come down on himself for leaving the plains and going up into the mountains, which he loves so much, he sounds just like Nietzsche's Zarathustra, though where Nietzsche approves of leaping from perilous peak to perilous peak, the lama says it creates too strong a love of life in him, and it is not The Way, or something else that should probably be written with capital letters.

The spying Great Game part was kind of pointless, I thought. Everyone was speaking in such shuttered sentences that if I hadn't read the introduction first, I would have had no idea what they hell they were talking about. But it brought in some cool characters.

I think I have another Rudyard Kipling books hidden somewhere on my bookshelves that I may get around to reading soon.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kim.