Jenny Miller's Reviews > Mice

Mice by Gordon Reece

Oct 05, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

Mice is a book with an incredible story-line; suspenseful, puzzling, yet straight forward and to the point. Unlike most books, it doesn't neglect detail, though sometimes the author can get a bit too carried away with the insignificant factors of a scene, like a fat guy's chest hair or a character's somewhat pointless thoughts. Other than that, the writing is brilliant.

Despite the fabulous plot, I wasn't satisfied with the conclusion after finishing the novel. Stating to the audience that violence is the answer to every problem is just wrong. The protagonist in this book murdered an unarmed, drunken fool at the age of sixteen. The author somehow expects the audience to house a sympathy for the girl and her family, just because she was bullied at school. Though the bullying was horrendous, I'm just not happy that with moral of the story; CRIME PAYS. And I was quite horrified at how Shelley managed to laugh out loud as she and her mother carried a corpse outside their front door at 6 in the morning. A corpse that they murdered.

Maybe I'm just too chicken for the book, maybe not - I suppose it's just my opinion. But I just couldn't possibly find a way to feel sorry for the murderous protagonists in the novel, despite the age and so-called 'innocence'.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mice.