Lori Holbein-Gutierrez's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction

Personal Reaction: The book cover had me confused at the beginning and after I read it. I wasn't sure what the book was about by looking at the cover, and I really didn't want to read it by looking at the cover. I'm glad that I did read the book, because it kept me on the edge wanting to know what was going to happen next. It seemed to have your typical teenager characters in it, your teenage boy (Connor), teenage girl (Risa), bully (Roland), and mysterious kid (Lev). It was interesting to read the purpose for each characters unwind. I find the plot definitely far fetched from reality. How in the world could parents sign papers to have their own child be unwound? Our country struggles and debates over stem cell research, so I believe harvesting teenagers for their body parts seems a little ridiculous. It was difficult to get through the part where the author goes through each step as they harvest Roland. Even thought I really disliked this character I found it difficult to keep reading. I wasn't quite sure how the story would end. I'm happy with the ending of the story. It ended on a more upbeat note than the rest of the book. I always like it when the good guy and good girl end up together, and especially when they try to change the world to make it a better place to live in. For those students who like science fiction I would recommend that they read this book. Even though I found the plot to be far fetched it moved at a fast pace, it was well written, and kept me interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.