Suzie Quint's Reviews > The Calling

The Calling by Ashley Lynn Willis

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: romance, kindle-loanable
Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy

The word that comes to mind when I think about how to describe this story is "sweet." Now that doesn't mean that there are no steamy scenes. There are. Sweet just encapsulates the emotion the story evokes in me. Mandy and Justin are two likable people. A cancer survivor, Mandy has scars not just on her body but in her heart. Justin, a Coast Guard rescue swimmer, is emotionally scarred as well, but he also has a secret that he must share with the woman he loves before he can hope to build a life with her.

This is an urban fantasy romance, but not of the dark variety. The fantasy builds off mythology rather than dark, dangerous, bad-boy monsters. Even so, the heart of the story is the romance between the hero and heroine, and in that arena it plays off one of my favorite romance troupes: friends to lovers. I especially liked the ending. There's a ticking clock that they must race against. If they lose the race, Mandy loses everything that's come to mean so much to her, and I applaud the author for throwing realistic roadblocks in their way and making it appear that they can't win.

I look forward to more from Ashley Lynn Willis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.

Quotes Suzie Liked

Ashley Lynn Willis
“We're two topless women in a three-by-four space. I don't think it gets more uncomfortable that that..”
Ashley Lynn Willis, The Calling