Patrick Brown's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Nov 03, 11

bookshelves: best-of-2011
Recommended for: fans of the Office, people who love good comic writing
Read from November 01 to 03, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps that's because I wear straight-leg dark wash jeans and use Bumble and Bumble hair product (both endorsed by Mindy Kaling). Or perhaps it's because it's a smart book of comic essays. Probably a little of both.

My favorite essay, I think, is the titular essay, about her high school posse of friends and the moment she knew she was drifting away from them. If you can't relate to that essay, I suspect you went to one of those boarding schools in Switzerland. with the oil heirs. And as such, I hate you. (Just kidding. Loan me some money!)

I also really loved her take on romantic comedies. I love to sit with my wife and watch romantic comedies and just think about how ridiculous they are. My favorites are movies made in the last three years that portray the magazine or book business in a crazy glamorous light. Oh yes, I'm sure the associate editor at that publishing house has a 1,400 square foot office with a view of Central Park. There's no way she tends bar to pay her bills and lives in Jersey City, right?

There are plenty of great insider-y things in this book. If you're a fan of The Office, you'll love the behind the scenes glimpses of the writing room. The Saturday Night Live chapter is not to be missed. And I really loved hearing about the Matt & Ben play, which I'd never heard of, and which I now really want to see. Can someone lend me a DVD?

Oh, and did I mention that I hosted a live video chat with Mindy? I didn't? Weird. That's usually the first thing I put in one of these reviews.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.