Cindi's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

1940550
Oct 08, 2011

Read from October 07 to 08, 2011

This wackily-written UF is nothing like Ms. Huff's other, more well-known works! I must admit that I had a bit of trouble following along at first because explanations would be too easy, right? Dialogue oddities also prevailed. But the characters were wonderful, the plot just thick enough, that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been quite a while since I've read a stand-alone book (!!!) and I appreciated that.

The concept is about a family of witches, mostly women, who get more powerful as they age - along with getting a bit dingier and better at baking. Charms abound and luck for the Gale family is always good. They don't like sorcerers, tho; they have too much power and power corrupts, you know? Family is everything, even tho the Aunties always want to know what's going on with the younger generation and often become a bit of a pain trying to find out. Their men choose. Choose their women, that is. And you know how family can be when they butt in ...

Allie is an un-Chosen twenty-something who moves to Calgary when she "inherits" her grannie's junk store. No one actually believes gran is dead, tho, but they do want to know whats going on over there ... Allie has no clue, but she meets a Changeling lepracaun - who's a little tall - and Dragon Lords and Graham, who's a writer for a rag of a newspaper and looking for a story about her grannie. Of course things are not what they seem, and family can't leave her alone so her cousins and friends end up there with her until things blow up. And catch fire. But she still doesn't break down and call in her Aunties! She wants to handle things herself.

This a is good ride and I'll never look at a mirror or yoyo's the same again. Hail Ms. Huff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.