Rebecca's Reviews > My Hollywood

My Hollywood by Mona Simpson

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: chicklit
Read in May, 2011

I don't know why I bothered with this book. I didn't like the previous book I read from this same author, but it came up, so whatever. I was blah on this book too. I don't know why. The topic is okay, but just how it's written, it just doesn't do it for me. This book is about two different women's life in Los Angeles. One is your typical "Hollywood" mother. She and her husband moved out west so he could get a low level job writing for a TV show before he becomes the toast of town. They have a son and since both parents work, they hire a nanny or whatever and the other perspective is from hers. She is an older women from the Philippines who has taken care of kids all her life and sends money back home. The nanny talked about places I actually know! And can definitely appreciate that since she is Pilipino, she knows a lot of people and mentions Eagle Rock a lot, which is where I grew up and can honestly say that we joking call it "Little Manila" because on what a culture it is there. Obviously, throughout their time together, while they couldn't relate to each other at all, they definitely appreciated each other as the women really didn't want to hire a nanny and was pretty respectful of her while most of the women she is friends with are not. So typical. There was nothing new here and the prose just kind of annoyed me.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Hollywood.