Rebecca's Reviews > The Island

Oct 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chicklit
Read in April, 2011

Man, I haven't read any chick-lit books in like forever! And while this book wasn't as fluffy and cute as some what you would normally consider chick-lit, it was more in the realm of Jennifer Weiner, which I hate to put in that category, but it really is. It's a bigger book, more like 4-500 pages then less then 300. The characters are more detailed and less happens and it's more on character development then actually moving a story forward. This book pretty much had 4 characters and they were like two sets of sisters, an older set of sisters and then one of the women's children as the other set of sisters. I like books about sisters. They are very few and far between and when written well, they are good. And this was one of the better ones. Other then that, I didn't really care too much.

The story was okay. Shit happens in their lives, they don't talk about it too much to each other, but run off to this Island house off the coast of Nantucket for a month in the summer. Lots of the book takes place in the past. A bit happens in the present. And stuff is sort of resolved, but not really. It was more a relationship book then anything else. In fact, one of the big reasons they went to the house is because originally one of your younger sisters was going to get married, but she broke it off and then her ex-fiancé ended up dying in a sort of accident. But the reason she broke up with him is because she was in love with his brother. Her story isn't really solved at the end. I mean, sort of, new job, moved, blah blah blah. But not in the details that the rest of them where. It was a little weird. If you are in the mood for a tomb, with few characters and lots of back-story, then pick this up. Otherwise, don't bother!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.