Beverly's Reviews > The Fiery Cross

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

Oct 05, 11

Read in October, 2011

The 5th book in the Outlander series. Claire and Jamie Fraser have established themselves on a land grant. This was given to Jamie by Governor Tryon of North Carolina even though he is Catholic and it is forbidden. The Governor bought Jamie's loyalty. So When he is called upon to put down a rebellion of disgruntled colonists, he has no choice but to go. With the help of his son-in-law Roger, they are able to contain the situation. However, Roger was caught in the wrong place and was mistaken for one of the Regulators and sentenced to hang. Jamie and Claire were able to reach him in time and saved his life but his voice was destroyed. There are pockets of action in an otherwise long and drawn out repetitive narrative. It amazes me that a 20th century woman lands on her feet in the 19th century. How does she know how to do all the things a woman had to do back then? As is pointed out when they read the journal of the Indian time traveler Otter-Tooth, he had no one she at least had Jamie to show her the way. Knowing what they know about coming events, and the probability that they cannot change them, how can Roger and Brianna decide to stay? One thing I liked from the earlier books was the time travel element. It just seems to be tacked on here. I am still looking forward to reading the next book even though it will probably be more of the same. I have to find out what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fiery Cross.